Undecided Bride

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 20, 2013.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have known for a while that I will be playing a wedding in March. I had assumed that I would be playing something traditional like Trumpet Voluntary. Tonight the bride informed me that she is not a traditional girl and wants none of the tunes traditionally played at a wedding. She is looking for a four to five song set of tunes that have not yet been specified to be played before the wedding as people come in. She has no idea as to what she wants but in her words, "it can't be too laid back or too upbeat and jazz bandy" . She also wants just trumpet with no accompaniment. I have never done anything remotely like this but suspect it would come off better with a track to play along with. She is supposed to get back to me with ideas for tunes. I am looking for advice as to how to help the bride pick tunes and how to organize this in a way that will be pleasing to the folks attending this event.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Sounds an awful lot like a no-win situation here.....run while you have a chance!!!

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I agree that it is a difficult situation , but this lady owns the dance studio that my daughter attends and competes with. I am not sure how I would get out of this one without causing trouble.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not sure how retro your bride wants to go... There was a song done by Julie Rogers in the 1960s called The Wedding. I played it as a trumpet solo a couple of times for weddings when I was a kid. It went over well at the time. Lots of long notes which bounce around nicely in a church or large room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyrqgTsjNGg

Kind of off topic, but I'm tearing up hearing this song after such a long time.:huh:

tj

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I would suggest some romantic Ballads,

"I'll Walk Beside You" comes to mind, nothing more upbeat than "I can't Give You anything but Love", some Beatles songs.

I dont think "Love for Sale" would be fitting.

Regards, Stuart.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    No-win x2
    Seriously, oh, you got a tough one on your hands there.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
  8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
  9. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
  10. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    A serious challenge I have a trumpet arrangement from Carnival of Animals "The Elephant" or you could consider Verdi's March of the Hebrew Slaves. These are not your usual wedding marches and are lovely to play. Have you considered Johnny Cash' Ring of Fire.