Undecided Bride

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 20, 2013.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    First I would try to talk her out of her plan. When you can't do that I would tactfully explain that you will do your very best but your are very concerned that your best won't be good enough. After she assures you that it will be suggest she give you some sort of theme. Songs with "Summer" in the title, songs with "Star" in the title, songs with "Dream" in the title, etc. At least that will give you some freedom to find songs that will sound good.

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
  3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    All great suggestions Brad but you're highlighting the dilemma here. These songs might be entirely relevant, appropriate and totally on the money, but will they fit the brides-eye-view of "just right" (not to mention the mother-of-the-bride :evil:)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about: "She's Having my Baby"?

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fever, if you can get her to OK a bass track to play along with you.

Something lyrical like I Will Always Love You (Houston or Parton) as long as they don't think about the lyrics really hard.

Get Me to the Church On Time

I Could Have Danced All Night

Wonderful Tonight

Lady in Red

I think any of those could work as a solo trumpet piece, using the melody only.

The problem comes when it's not recognizable without the background instruments.

6. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Arrival of the queen of Sheba

Hail, the conquering hero cometh

Perhaps not

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Stay away from "The Lady Is A Tramp"

I feel your angst. This will require some serious thinking. What exactly is "too jazzy?" Could you use "Feel So Good", or is that too jazzy for her tastes? Could you put together a medley of recognizable songs? What is the objection to backing tracks? This is a performance, and five songs in a row where the trumpet stays on the lips can be challenging. After all, there won't be any 2 measure rests. Sounds like you need a lot of clarification here. Good luck.

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    This is a No-Win… run fast.. use an excuse…

My trumpet broke…
    I have a cold sore, a BAD one…
    I have an (cough) upper resp. infection..
    Uncle is in the hospital…..gotta go..
    The dog ate the music…
    I have an STD…
    Suit is at the cleaners..
    Hangnail…..

Ba bye…… Sorry…..maybe next time, sounds like there will be one : )

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    a favorite at receptions was "Someone to Watch Over Me", real nice easy piece and can be played any tempo that she desires. after a wedding where the bride came to our reh. with a stop watch and timed every piece so that she could plan the music down to the minute and then at the last minute got cold feet and we had to "fill" for over 20 minutes until she walked down the aisle our quintet swore we would never do another wedding.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I am going to let her pick the tunes. I leaving nothing to chance. She will have to let me know or the deal is off. Someone to Watch Over Me was suggested by Dave Mickley. I had passed that on. Hoping that will season her imagination enough to come up with some ideas.