Undecided Bride

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If the church aisle is about a block long, you might suggest Sousa's Wedding March as plays about 9 minutes. I've not heard of any who ever got married to it. If any did, IMO they need to see a psychiatrist. In WWI Sousa was prejudiced about American's using Mendelsshon and Lohengren's he deemed a farce the latter not the music, the opera story. OK, IMO Sousa's march is good music, but too durn long.

Another long one is Walton's Crown Imperial - Coronation March recently used at the wedding of William & Kate, but for sure that's not a trumpet solo either.

2. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I used to photograph weddings because I thought it was a good way to support my photography hobby, but after the second one I gave it up because if it isn't the bride who is difficult its the grooms parents, I can only imagine how difficult it would be to play a solo for a difficult bride. Some jobs are best left alone for our own sakes and and it is not a failure to turn down a job, sometimes its smart. It she wants a trumpet piece let her pick it out and play a recorded version. Even Beyonce know's when its time to lip sink.

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I was thinking of rat pack type ballads, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" "Give Me the Simple Life" "On the Sunny Side of the Street" "I Only Have Eyse for You" "The Lady is a Tramp"

OK, maybe not that last one.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Gloria Gaynor has a good one: "I Will Survive" ;) and you can always play Sinead O'Connors "Nothing compares 2U" - there's a good trumpet solo version on scoreshare.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "And the Angels Sing" - Benny Goodman - best if you had a singer though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It depends on who is paying for the wedding pictures. Had that happen also, but since the grooms parents weren't the one's paying, as polite as I could I told them off as they weren't my client's. Too, the groom never did get along well with his step-dad who I later learned divorced his mother. The couple are now putting their youngest of 4 grandchildren through college as they did the other 3. Beyonce's schedule didn't allow time to rehearse with the USMC band, and I think the lip synch to her own music was bad PR for her. In such circumstances, I would have totally withdrawn from the honor of singing at the Inauguration.

7. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    That's probably for the best. Nobody wants to see you on national TV wearing a dress.

:D

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Amen

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'd look great wearing a kilt, but my singing now isn't any better than my trumpet playing. FYI I have and often wear kilted attire. If asked, I would excuse myself as I wouldn't wish to be disarmed as I'm sure SS or Capitol Police would. With kilt, I also carry dirk and skein dhu. Sometimes also, the Wilkinson replica of a Scottish sword given me as an honorarium. Too, I've appeared on DC TV in kilted attire more than once ... along with hundreds of others during the Virginia Scottish Games and Alexandria VA Scottish Christmas Walk through Old Town the first Saturday in December. Couldn't walk that distance now!

10. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    can you imagine the "Janet Jackson" wardrobe malfunction in a Kilt? :shock: :-o:-o:-o :evil: ROFL