under perform under pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brem, Jun 23, 2009.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    This week-end I had a show, but I underperformed.

That pisses me off.

I practiced everyday, knew the songs in my set really well, by heart. But when I get on stage, I overblow the horn, which results in poor endurance and range decrease.

Also, I get dry mouth and drink like a mad cow...

On top of that, I was starting to develop cold symptoms...

And to make it all worse, the band playing after us had a trumpet player that had a sound that kicked my ass.

I should have stayed home... I guess.

P.S.: I was sober too!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    "Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.
    Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins.
    This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."

Dizzy Gillespie

Pseudonym likes this.
  3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    So basically, the horn wins in the end... Great. :p

4. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Brem, check your PM's

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I did, thanks for the heads up Firestas'1!

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It's just a bad case of nerves, you get up on stage and want to play the best that you can and forget every thing you learned about what to do, the more you perform the easier it gets to trust your abilities , when you can do this you will be able to breathe more relaxed and not over blow.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    So....quit performing! Try just getting up and playing, having fun, making music and communicating with (rather than just to) the audience.

We spend most all of our quality time playing for ourselves, so a performance is just a way of letting the public in on our private pleasures. If we feel the need or pressure to prove something (even to ourselves) we've given ourselves a license to suck.

Have fun!

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Nordlands,
    Diz was wrong. I'm sure Himself, Pops, and a lot of others are now all together in the Holy Heaven, with their best horns (made in Jericho ?) where they have no more chop problems. So it's a win-win deal between Trumpet and trumpeters. One has just to keep the faith !
    Amen.

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Al: It's not so much that I forgot notes, it's more like my physical state was not allowing me to play like I usually do. So yeah, maybe the nerves made me play with more pressure or more air than I should and it also made my mouth dry.

So how do I relax then? I don't choose to be nervous :p

Vulgano: I agree! But how do I relax? It wasn't by choice... Sometimes I play fine and am really at ease, but sometimes, I'm just not...

Any ideas?

:p

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I used to get nervous when I first started doing concerts in school, but I was lucky that I also started gigging at 16 yrs. old, and was so used to being on stage it just stopped being an issue, that was 46 yrs. ago, calmness comes with experience, like when you first learned to drive , at the beginning you were nervous in traffic but after a while it was second nature.