Understanding Air Flow?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've had a problem for a while about having a consistent, steady air flow. Sure, I can get the air going for each note, but between each, not so much. My question is: How am I supposed to know the feeling of having a steady, consistent airstream? When I'm playing, what physical sensation should I experience when I'm using my air correctly?

Thanks all,
    Mark

coolerdave likes this.
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Mark,

That is a great question, I'd like to know as well.

Turtle

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To answer your question if I understand it correctly, "When I'm playing, what physical sensation should I experience when I'm using my air correctly?

My answer is: When you do not feel resistance between each note. I am a little confused by the sensation your are describing. Are you saying when you slur from one note to another the intonation or the quality of the tone changes?

By the way Mark, welcome back, I have not seen you here for a while.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    As I see it the air flow provides the energy to maintain the standing wave in the horn, note I did not say to keep the lips buzzing, that is another subject.

A change in the air flow does two things in conjunction with the aperture, 1/ the sound volume will change, 2/ the pitch will change.

If you can hold a steady volume and the pitch is not wavering there is not a problem with the flow not being consistant.

The problems I see with my fellow players in band and orchestra are not taking in enough air before playing and too much body and chop tension.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

I have some issues with choppiness, and sometimes my lips my just stop buzzing -- I've been told this is a result of the air flow not being consistent (though stumac suggests something else..?)

Thank you all. I do not usually feel resistance between the notes, I think, so now I am extremely curious.

It's good to be back-- too much work kept me away >.<

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I can't answer your question as to what you should "feel," but one of my previous trumpet teachers had me mouthpiece-buzz exercises when I wasn't maintaining steady airflow.

To expand: when he detected that I was letting the air stop when I articulated, he had me play a simple exercise by buzzing the mouthpiece. When I say "a simple exercise," I mean he would pull out an easy etude book (usually something from Getchell book one) and open it to a random page. He would give me the starting note on the piano and I had to buzz the etude on the mouthpiece, the goal being to maintain a steady buzz through each articulation. His rationale was that it takes more air to maintain a mouthpiece buzz, so any interruption in air during an articulation would result in a very noticeable interruption of buzz.

Once I buzzed through the etude to his satisfaction he would have me play it on the trumpet, concentrating on maintaining the same feeling of constantly-moving air.

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Basically BLOW LIKE HELL 90% OF THE TIME. Puts some G damned air behind the horn and don't worry about anything else. Play louder than your peers. Right up to and slightly past the point where you piss off the music director. But only slightly past. I figure I'm hittin it about right when one couple on the dance floor declares.

"Love the band but the trumpets are a little too loud"

Simple concept. Happens to work really well. Yet very few trumpet players understand this concept

Next, watch the Maynard stance and air support video here:

Maynard Ferguson 1977 Clinic - YouTube

MEMORIZE and INCORPORATE everything he says. This stuff REALLY WORKS. You may never quite develop the solid Double C he has* but I'm telling you this video is THE SINGLE BEST AND MOST INFORMATIVE TRUMPET TEACHING DEMONSTRATION ON THE 'NET TODAY.

*Sorry but this is natural God given talent I'm afraid. You can improve and eventually ought to be able to play and use a DHC. But to get it twenty times a night like Maynard did and with the full resonant tone is not something we can all expect to attain as well. Even John Faddis and Arturo Sandoval do not have screamers quite as good as this one. My guess is that they would even probably agree with the statement.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Putting more airflow into the mouthpiece (blow like heck) is one option, but another problem may be physicial. If you are loosing the buzz, perhaps the cup size is not maintaining a focal point on the embouchure you use when starting a buzz. Any change in position on the cup will break the seal and loss the support needed for buzzing. Have you tried this with other cup sizes.

Remember a walruses dream is finding a tight seal.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Nice idea! But, it doesn't work with Prana mouthpieces. Blowing like He (double hockey sticks) stuffs up the whole shebang.

You got anything else?

Turtle

Dupac likes this.
  10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I always think of it as holding something against the wall with my air, like a piece of paper. If you watched Dragon Ball Z as a kid, I could make the explanation make more sense.