Understanding Air Flow?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I told you not to buy meds from Kingtrumpet.

Just say "know"...

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

look at this -- even after the testosterone pills - old Local has a sense of humor(humour) -- this seems to be a change of pace from the "always controversial, yet always informative Local" ---- often imitated, but never duplicated ROFL ROFL ROFL

and the tongue arching thingy is just a bunch of hype, no wonder I couldn't get the hang of it..

JUST TONGUE AND BLOW -- as local says,
    or as KT says -- choke up on the mpc and give it some air

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup:

4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Shoving large quantities of air through the horn is not the answer. Maintaining a steady, controlled air stream will work much better, sound much better, and put less strain on your chops. My teacher has asthma and one injured lung but has a gorgeous sound at all volume levels. Can play incredible lead up to dhc and over. It's the constant, consistent flow, not the quantity of air

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes -- that is what we started to say --- even, consistent air ---- then again sometimes (in certain gigs and high notes) ---when your tired, you just got to reach back and "give it some air". but yes - consistent air -- that is the key

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    My teacher has helped me improve the evenness of my air flow 3 ways.

He has me play a passage slurred first while concentrating on keeping the air flow even. Next time play it legato. Then try it tongued. Apparently I was "huffing" out individual notes and didn't know it.

Playing a passage or scale flutter tongued will help you identify where your air is not keeping up. If the air flow is even then the flutter will be even and not change with different notes.

Legato Tonguing repeated 16 notes for a period of one minute on one note while concentrating on keeping the tempo even helps identify problems too. Use a metronome. If you notice that your articulations are erratic it is most likely due to uneven air flow.

I hope that this helps some.