Undesired blowing sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrizzone, Jul 13, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I would play the low notes and USE MORE AIR -- not overblowing or forcing the air, but try to gently use more air in the low range to keep a full sound --- well that's what I do, and generally speaking, I DO NOT have to change my embouchure (well some finesse in the lips/embouchure, but I NEVER have to reposition the mpc for the Low G below the staff to the G an octave above the one on top of the staff) ---- so yes, for 3 octaves I NEVER have to reposition the mpc, and that is a result of mostly sdjusting air, and some slight adjustments that do not require an embouchure change---- SO MY SUGGESTION is to try to use air, and do not change your embouchure to "try to get a note" ((ps. I might also add that is with over 4,000 hours of practice in the last 5 1/2 years -- even my low notes did not happen without concerted practice and effort on the trumpet))

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thinking about the comments recommending using more air -- I suggest that if the player is using more air, that is blowing a bit stronger, then the player must then exert greater embouchure/chops control to keep the increased airflow correct for the target (lower) notes, which results over time in a more developed embouchure which will work better. I'm sorry if this is a low-value rehash of which has already been written here, and less eloquent than Rowuk and others have written.

--bumblebee

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A good exercise involves four quarter notes, a whole note, a crescendo and a decrescendo. Starting with C below the staff play four quarters with a crescendo to fff, and a decrescendo starting with the whole note. Continue chromatically downwards, and take care that the loud low notes can really "bark." It won't sound much like Miles, but it will sound like a good trumpet player when mastered. Then, with this thoroughly mastered, you can try to sound like Miles, if that is your wish.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There's a difference between using more air and blowing harder or faster. A person can play quite softly in the low register and yet be using a larger volume of air. It's more about being balanced though.

5. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Not sure if this adds anything, but I went along to hear Matthias Hoffs (leading German classical soloist) doing a masterclass at the Royal College of Music and he was talking about playing these lower notes. He is an exponent (I hope that I did not misunderstand) of playing these with more air in order to produce a fuller / fatter sound. He also does this because, he says, if you play lower notes with the same volume of air as higher notes, they "sound" quieter. This is apparently something to do with the frequency of the sound wave created and the way the ear interprets it.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's been my experience that you can't use the same volume of air when playing higher, at least not going through the horn. You have volume, but not going through the horn - the volume is used to create the compression to make the air and lips vibrate faster, but the volume of air moving through the horn decreases.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When talking about air, we have to be careful about what is said as a visualization and what is scientifically measured truth.

I only know of one single research paper on quantity of air. I investigated it in the late 70s. Bottom line: the more tension that we have pent up in our bodies, the less we know about quantity and quality.

A couple of tidbits:
    1) The quantity of air used has to be in "human portions". The reason is that our body needs air to function and when we have more air than we need, we feel like suffocating. That means it is CRAP to talk about a big breath if the rest of the context is not there to use it. We need body use and equipment that let us phrase properly. It makes no sense if we run out of air before the phrase is over or suffocate because we can't get rid of the air in a reasonable amount of time.
    2) The quantity of air for the exact same perceived loudness goes down as the note goes up for measurements within 20 Ft. This has to do with the efficiency of the flapping lips. After 20 ft we have other acoustic effects.
    3) Proper breathing starts with a prepared body
    4) clamping off the embouchure with pressure calls off all bets on use of air
    5) The better that our body is prepared, the easier it is to take a deep breath without appreciably increasing tension.
    6) the better our daily routine, the easier it is to pace air flow for consistent tone, better endurance and range.

I have measured 7 liter capacity of my lungs. Depending on what I am playing, it can be gone in 12 seconds or it will last more than a minute.

The (grownup) people that I tested back then had usable lung volume from 3 to my 7 liters - pretty evenly divided. All were able to play the required phrases after coaching. The sampled absolute volume averaged over the entire phrase turned out to not be statistically relevant. That means air leakage while playing is a VERY big factor not compensatible by "bigger breaths". Getting a higher efficiency buzz is critical to optimal air usage.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This is a case of perceived loudness, measured in sones, and yeah, the third trumpet needs to play louder than the principal trumpet to sound balanced. I love playing third trumpet.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I like to think of it as using "fat lazy air" and lots of it in the lower register --- whereas in the higher register above the staff, I think of it as using "thin spunky air" with a laser beam like focused air going through a small aperture ------------ well that is how I can describe it.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Hidden away at the end of a posting, and yet this is such an important idea it should be up there in lights.

My buzz has come on quite well recently, so fishing for compliments on my 'improved' tone I asked Mrs Seth yesterday morning if she'd noticed any difference in my sound. "Yes" she replied "You can now get through a tune without stopping for breath half way through".

She just tells it as it is! :-)