Unfortunate--but necessary--trumpet job...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TangneyK, Mar 18, 2004.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yesterday I played "Taps" at the memorial service for the first soldier in the 1st Infantry Division to be killed in action while serving his country in Iraq. Tomorrow I play another memorial service for two more soldiers in the division KIA in Iraq.

Please, send your thoughts and prayers to his family, to all the soldiers who are serving in harms way, and to the families that support them.

--Kevin

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Do you find it harder to play taps for KIA soldiers than for
    older veterans?

3. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually, I don't find either "hard" to do. While they are not "fun," I do enjoy doing them. It's the most important thing any military musician can do.

--Kevin

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I guess that's true. I've never played for anything but American Legion ceremonies.

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I am glad to hear that a trumpeter played taps live. Anyone in harm's way who makes the ultimate sacrifice deserves the honor. If something should never be used again, it is the "ceremonial bugle" or recorded taps.

You asked for prayers -- that I will do.

M&C

6. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Taps

I am in for prayers too.

7. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've got mixed feelings about the ceremonial bugle.

First, as we hopefully all know, a live musician can never be replaced.

However... If the military is not willing to fork out the money to hire real musicians, the "digital bugle" is a lesser evil compared to a boombox hidden in some bushes.

My solution is to "contract out" players. Throw some high school or college player in a uniform, pay them $50, and presto...

Oh... and talk about pressure. At last Wednesday's job, the 4 star general in command of all the troops in Europe was there. :)

--Kevin

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Isn't having a 4-star buy a round of beer after part of the tradition?

Seriously, the concept of having a "non-military" trumpeter play Taps is a good one; it can't help but strengthen the "civilian/military" bond, encourage young musicians to take an interest in what's going on in the world, provide a much-needed increment of respect to a serviceman/woman's passing, and give the survivors a feeling that their loved one's loss wasn't a total waste.

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I agree. A year ago, I had to play Taps as a senior in HS for a dear friend of mine who had fought in WWII, and for my school's 9/11 anniversary memorial service. Definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to do. First, because I really didn't know what all I was supposed to do as far as position and stuff. I didn't want to do anything that would dishonor the military, as my grandfather would have risen from his grave and beaten me. Second, because I get very emotional, and it was especially so at the funeral. It's a simple, but so beautiful piece of music.

If you're lookin' for volunteers, I'll gladly do it for free everytime. It's the least I can do.

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    As a citizen of the US, THANK YOU for your service to America and our soldiers. We are all proud of you!!