University Baroque Trumpet Ensembles?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by natemayfield, Jul 10, 2008.

1. natemayfield

natemayfield New Friend

Sep 13, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Dear friends,

Do any of you know which universities and colleges in North America offer baroque trumpet ensembles? Jack Laumer had one a few years ago at Texas State in San Marcos (along with at least 4 naumann 3 holers that the univ. owns).. Oberlin does I believe with a few Eggers? Also, North Texas has an ensemble.. I have some interested students who'd like to continue playing baroque trumpet in college, but would be great to do a head count of university programs and instrument holdings. Grinnell College has 2 amazing Meinl and Lauber one hole baroque trumpets in their instrument collection. Arizona State? Georgia? Northwestern or Eastman have collections?

2. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I know that the University of Minnesota has a couple Naumanns in the collection that students check out quite often (including myself when I was a student there a couple years ago), but there was no natural trumpet ensemble. I think it's a pretty rare thing to have a dedicated natural trumpet ensemble (getting just an early music ensemble at UMN was difficult enough). If a student wanted to check out the instruments and sort of do their own thing in the early music ensemble at UMN, I'm sure no one would stop them (and Gary Bordner has been learning nat trumpet to play in the SPCO within the last few years).

So, I would imagine that this is the case with a lot of schools...they own some instruments, and maybe even have a few interested students, but have no official ensemble. I too would be curious to know what schools actually have dedicated ensembles.

3. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    The University of Alabama does not have one yet. But last year we talked about it and there was a lot of interest. The new trumpet instructor is into baroque trumpet playing. The only thing holding them back is getting the instruments I believe.

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Bryan Goff at Florida State.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We had an ensemble at Washington State University under Gerald Webster in the 1980's. For good or ill, the original source of the Vulgano Brethren.

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    IU has a class where you can make a Baroque Trumpet over the summer but there was no ensemble there when I was in school. FWIW

7. CGUM

CGUM Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2005
    Hey Nate,

I think there is or was a baroque ensemble at Humboldt. Also, if memory serves me correct, ray burkhart might be teaching baroque trumpet at cal state pomona. Don't know about the ensemble.
    Hofstra might be another school that has a baroque trumpet ensemble though they might be focused more on cornetto.

peace,
    CG

8. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    I was in a small ensemble this year at University of Louisville - two baroque trumpets and violins, viola, cello, and continuo. It was a TON of fun.

9. Baroquetrumpeterguy

Baroquetrumpeterguy New Friend

Jul 18, 2008
    UNT used to have a pretty good one when doctor Leonard Candelaria was teaching there 4 or 5 years ago. I am not sure if they still do though...