University run band camps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Apr 6, 2012.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Mizzou has a band camp for Middle School age players and my son is interested. Does anyone have any experience with this camp or one like it who could share experiences? My son will be going into seventh grade and started on trumpet this year. He has taken very well to it and is playing very well for his age. He started private lessons a couple months ago. His range (I know range isn't everything) is up to the A above the staff and his tone is pretty good. He's decent at sight reading. Would this camp experience be helpful and worth the $400 cost (5 full days)?

Here is the web page for the camps:
    http://music.missouri.edu/camps/index.html

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I did one like this before. It is VERY demanding for a young player. This is something I would ask his private instructor for first, then him. I did this my freshman (9th grade) year. I found it very fun. I do not know your son nor how he plays. This will be a great experience for him and will greatly benefit him. This is for grades 6 - 8 so I think he would be great for it. I know mine was for high school students so it was more challenging. I say go for it if you can. The price is high for these camps, you will find that everywhere. But I think they are worth it.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While I don't know this particular camp, most students really enjoy participating in such. My son attended a 3 day music camp when he was in 8th grade and had a great time. Even better if someone from his school that he knows also attends. The camps are grueling, but the kids seem to like it. While he won't turn pro from 4 days of intense practice, he will come back a better player and pobably with a lot of motivation.

All that said, you know your own child best. I am an educator and whether it is a great experience or the opposite all depends on the student. Is he independent? Can he make friends easily? Is he going to feel insecure about being off by himself?

Also, is $400 a lot to you? That would be a major expense for our family. For some, it means the family goes without on important things. To others, it may be nothing.

Another question is whether you think it is important for him to get the enthusiasm that comes from peers working together. $400 in private lessons might produce far better trumpet playeing, but not the same motivation that comes from being with peers.

If he goes, give us a report on the trip.

If

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    anything that gets your kid out of the house for a week is worth $400! LOL!

5. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    This is EXACTLY what my wife said and the only reason we are considering it. My wife is a teacher too and is not looking forward to the summer, lol. My son is one boy among four girls and it can get, shall we say--discordant--when they are cooped up together. Aaron has a low tolerance for boredom and tends to create excitement one way or the other. He is good at making friends and I have no fear that he will fit in fine. He also has band friends he is inviting, but the $400 could be a sticking point for them.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Get him to raise half the money... eBay some old toy or gadget he doesn't use anymore, or mow lawns for a weekend or two

7. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    He just sold his rifle and his starter trumpet to buy a Yamaha Allegro. He also owes us several lawn mowings for that. I told my wife that it would be my gift to her to send him, lol. But you're right it's a good idea for him to be invested in it.

8. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    If you can swing it ... do it without hesitation. Ought to be the first 'best' experience of his young trumpet life ... until the next camp ;-D

9. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    My son just finished Mizzou Band Camp and had the time of his life, musically. He was challenged and was just so happy to be among 30 other young players who take it seriously (unlike the 6th grade band as social club crowd) I was able to go to the concert and was duly impressed after attending his school concerts. These kids going into 6th-8th grade sounded like a High School Band. Now he wants to go to another one next month at a different school, lol.