Unsteady hand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Hi,

How hard I try, I can't keep the horn steady, theres always some kind of movement and thus resulting in a shaky/vibrato tone.
    It's annoying as hell and I don't know how to fix it, suggestions?

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    There is not enough information to give a solid suggestion. It could be a medical or neurological problem. It could be a lack of arm and shoulder strength. It could be a horn that is too heavy. Explore these areas and reply. Maybe someone can help.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I hope you are not one of those who has to "emote" while playing. have a friend that plays clarinet and he is always swaying his upper body and moving his shoulders around while he plays, have seen a couple of trumpet players do the same thing.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For me the answer is easy: Gin and Tonic. That steadys my hand... Just call me Dr. [Hot] House

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously... If you hold a similar weighted object out with a bent elbow, suspended shoulder and cocked wrist... do you still shake?

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    So, where is the shaking or vibration coming from. Is it your hands, lips, head? You probably need to provide more info for folks to offer ideas.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've had quite a few times that I can't hold an instrument steady due to health issues. My solution was to use a T-bar under my elbows much in the manner of leaning on a table or desk. The theory is the same as that of a sign painter using a mahl stick, but few of us have now seen a sign hand painted. Actually, I have a folding table top music stand and often now practice at my desk, the consquence is that I don't tire too soon and have my cup of coffee near. I use the T-bar for other delicate tasks as well.

8. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I cant help you solve it, but I can advise you to never be a surgeon!

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Ed - are you playing a trumpet or cornet? you may find that a cornet might be a little easier to hold steady since your hands are slightly closer to your body. If you can borrow a cornet for a day or two you might want to try it and see if that helps. Good Luck

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Fix it period!

You're right, this is among the most annoying bad habits an amateur develops. And its always an amateur. There's a local half decent group I refuse to play in because they won't fire the second trumpet player due to his unmusical shaky hand.

DO NOT ALLOW YOUR HANDS TO SHAKE THE HORN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

Basic stuff: Start with long tones and slow slow scales. Soon as you shake? STOP. Do not ever allow a note to come out of your horn that sounds shaky. Not under any circumstances.

If indeed this is a neurological issue? Have it checked out. But it's probably just a bad habit.

Get rid of it like a dead cat under he house..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012