Unsupportive Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keehun, Jan 20, 2011.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    .....um yeah..... most of the time.... *ZOMBIES!!!!*

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I thought maybe back to the OP ....

We had a big gig recently, the Band's formal performance for the year where everyone gets an invite and only a minimum entrance fee to boost Band funds.

I invited my Mum along (and lots of the rest of the family) and the Band absolutely nailed it - really satisfying music - crisp clean and a good ensemble performance. My Mum has supported me in my music right from the start in 1962 - she and Dad invested at least a weeks income in my first horn - she listened to the initial horrible sounds and was equally supportive when I failed to continue with the trumpet. 37 years later, with my mid-life crisis, and the rediscovery of my latent passion, she has continued to support - turning up to gigs and listening to music that I somehow knew wasn't to her taste.

Our recent gig - essentially a Jazz performance with a few of the more obscure Big Band scores - and my 90 year old Mum comments, as I drive her home, "Does the band ever play anything musical?" (True) :oops:

3. momma_horn

momma_horn Pianissimo User

May 8, 2010
    I just think of those kids that may have given up on the dream because they had no support at home. Not even "the dream" as much as the pure joy of just playing.

As I sit here listening to my kid practice in the next room, nailing notes or choking on them..... Whether she nails it or not....I cannot think of a sweeter sound because I know how much SHE loves it. And that makes ME love it.

And I am sure it's true. One doesn't NEED parental support to make it happen...if it's in your blood, it's in your blood. But having someone to "attaboy" you and understand how important it is to you certainly has to make things a lot easier for you.

@Ted...I love your mum!

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    My Mum is also 90. There are several music professionals among my siblings, but Mum (Mom) never fails to boost my playing, amateur that I am.

I love Ted's Mum and momma horn too. Mo(u)ms rock!! Forging a good relationship with your child or your parents - what a worthy mission that is!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Such is my Mum's personality that, while I get frustrated with her sometimes (she is far too trusting in a increasingly threatening world), she doesn't have a critical bone in her body - I got such a laugh from "... anything musical?" and she had no idea what she'd said.

That week's income (for my first horn) would normally have been shared between six of us (and the butcher, baker, milkman, the grocer, and the bus service and the like) - I can't seem to get my head around that thought.

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    momma horn... will you adopt me? lol i still make quacky sounds too lol

7. momma_horn

momma_horn Pianissimo User

May 8, 2010

YEUP Veery, that's REALLY what it's all about. I'd hope to show the same support for my kid if she decided to become...a mortician, for example.

In the OP's instance, I am not sure that the parents DON'T support the efforts....maybe it's just their own upbringing and traditional roles that keep them from being all "rah rah!"; instead of a loud and raucous "rock star" show of support, perhaps they are more about the polite "golf clap" suport instead. But they support, none the less. And I think they asked very appropriate questions. I just hope they asked them for all the right reasons vs asking as a form of blowing off the kid's accomplishment.

I hope we hear a status update......

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    My Dad says - "if you know you're crazy, then you are alright - it's the people who don't realize they are crazy that have the problem"

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah, Patrick that goes back to a thread we had awhile back - about having heart - perserverance, the desire. I keep mentioning my "comeback" as a trumpet player -- and being a better player than I ever thought I could be -- and the bigger picture is a comeback to life. For most of those 7 years I quit the trumpet -- I quit almost everything, church, friends, I even stopped going to the grocery store -- ((well meaning people would say, hey are you still going to church?, are you still playing in worship service?)) --- I don't have no hard and fast reasonings on why --"I gave up", at least for awhile. Most of those 7 years were used (as my penetance of sorts) in building a stone house -- stone by stone - more than 500 tons worth in all. I know it's crazy.
    the last 25 months, I have "restarted" in life - or more like this - I prayed, Jesus - "what can you and I salvage out of my life in what little time I have???".
    so hence the trumpet comeback is a Life comeback, going to church, re-entering life --- No, I can't get back those 7 or 8, 9 years of life --- but I can get up tomorrow -- - participate in life, play the trumpet, and share that with others.
    Blessings
    ken

10. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    :thumbsup:Way cool! Thanks!

Mark