Unsupportive Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keehun, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kayak Cruzer

Kayak Cruzer New Friend

Mar 17, 2011
    Deepest, darkest Missouri
    This story is so exciting, and I really enjoyed seeing your photos, thanks! I can feel the joy in your last post.

2. momma_horn

momma_horn Pianissimo User

May 8, 2010
    SOO cool. I am so glad you were able to experience this!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That was my plan at the beginning, and then life happened - I met a girl, got serious in that relationship, and rather than get out and go back "home" to college to do whatever in music as had been my original plan, (I had always thought I wanted to be a HS Band Director) I wound up auditioning for and getting accepted into a DC area permanent duty station group, The Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. That was 19 years ago. 19 years of marriage, two kids, two careers, a home, and all the trimmings and trappings, and it's been a pretty blessed life.

Although my initial plan didn't work out like I thought, I have no regrets. With the 10 years of military band experience I got in this area and a willingness and drive to continue to play and gig, I've established enough contacts that finding good, real playing opportunities isn't tough. I never developed myself as a player to the point where I could really be competitive and make a living doing it, but I'm not out of place in the ensembles where I do play, and I have a lot of fun doing it, as well as making a nice tidy second income.

As a side note, I talked to the main Army bandfield recruiter at the National Trumpet Competition on Saturday, and he was telling me that the band programs have gotten competitive to the point (and I'm not talking the premier groups - all of the bands are getting this way) where the aspiring HS kid like I was doesn't stand much of a chance unless they are really hitting it. They have so many undergrad and grad level trumpet majors trying to get in these days that the process has become somewhat selective. Just thought I'd toss that out as an FYI.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    awesome -- Keehun, sounds like things are going well -- and Happy endings are starting at a young age -- keep playing, keep sharing, keep enjoying the trumpet -- and HUG your parents and tell them you love them -- especially Mom, they need that too!!!

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    WOW!!! I have so much respect for that jazz band... I was there last year watching the jazz band melt the house down with Wayne Bergeron... Wow... So you were in the honor jazz band... huh...

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Seriously, I am noting a decline in parental support, beginning with the announcement to the parents that their child wants to learn to play and instrument and wants them to buy him / her one. This follows in a few years to a reduction in band fullness as then brings on the "guillotine" where the band programs are terminated. Thus, the instrumental music instructor / band director positions are eliminated. This is a domino effect where the instrument market loses customers and may then have to lay off their staff or possibly liquidate or sell out. Yes, I realize the current economy forces reduction of expenses in all areas, but it isn't as bad as it has been in our history.

Yes, I do believe that where the parent is strong themselves in music, either playing and instrument or singing and/or there is always music in the household, the odds favor the children also becoming musical in some way.

7. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    It was also an honor having the chance to play for Joe Bergstaller in his masterclass. He is an amazing player, and I have a lot of respect for him.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I have very much enjoyed reading your post Keehun. I must confess that I always have a trace of envy toward kids like you, as I did not get to learn music when I was little/ young. That plagues my practice with weaknesses in theory/reading and it's not like it needs more weaknesses.

But I can't help to feel all warm inside reading about your recent adventure, meeting a master of the instrument, traveling and playing. I'm glad you got to experience that. Wherever life takes you, never let go of your instrument and your practice, there will always be some good for youreceive from it.

9. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    First of all, thank you!

I find it funny that you mention about getting to learn music at an early age. I guess I never considered 5th grade an early age because that's when everybody starts... I've been jealous of people who got to start on cornet when they were 6 or 7 yrs old!

I guess the complaining or the whining never stops... Thank you for providing me with a better view on this.

It was SUCH A GREAT JOY! I'm back at school... and my world's been turned upside down.

I'm so lucky though. My parents are allowing me to study music for colege... I can't wait to be immersed in music for most of my day (except for gen-eds, which most of is covered by my AP tests)... I know people get burnt out... I can't say I'll be an exception, so we'll see.

Really, honor bands feel like "heaven" to me... Nothing to complain about, and very fun and very joyous. Someday, I hope to provide the same or even better experience for my students.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    And thanks to you for returning the favor. I will no longer make an excuse of this. Instead I'll seriously start to work on these weaknesses :-)