UNT has hired a new trumpet professor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Mar 2, 2015.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Congratulations to my friend and fellow Brigham Young graduate Dr. Jason Bergman for winning the position of Professor of Trumpet at University of North Texas! I am sure the University of Southern Mississippi will miss him. He is one class act!

2. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
    Congrats, heard him a few times with the Mobile Opera Company and he is quite good. An acquaintance of mine sat second chair next to him for a bit and always regretted never making the time for lessons.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Didn't Al Vizutti have that position this last year? I wonder why they would take Dr. Bergman, who is surely qualified, instead of hiring Vizutti full time. To the best of my knowledge Vizutti has had such a wider and deeper level of experience? (Or has he? Is he missing comparable orchestral experience?)

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Allen Vizzutti did not want to stay nor did they want him full-time. He was hired to be a temporary professor.

5. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I know it was temporary. I just wanted to know why it didn't convert into full time. Any idea why he didn't want to stay or they to keep him? It might be interesting to know, not for idle gossip but because it might also give an insight into the UNT music program and their expectations.

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I'm not sure, but when I spoke with him he made it clear it was just a short "gig".

7. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    OK. Thanks for answering.