Unusual things

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet01, Jan 24, 2008.

1. trumpet01

trumpet01 New Friend

Jan 13, 2008
    I don't know if this is where this needs to be, so sorry a head of time if not.
    I just got in from a gig, my swing band played at a nursing home,and an unusual thing happened and I started thinking about funny or unusual things that happen to us while we play.SOOO... Let's hear-um.
    We were set up in the lobby and they had a cockateel right next to us. It was a loud bird. He loved to wistle, so when we would play he would start to sing. He was mostly off key and couldn't keep the beat. In other words he fit right in with our band!! It was kind of distracting, but he made me think of this thread right in the middle of a song.We played for almost two hours and he kept up with us the whole time.I was tired, but I don't think that bird was tired at all. I may see him about endurance training!
    Having fun playing, Jim <><

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Add "Birdland" to your repertory if you go back!

3. trumpetplayerdk

trumpetplayerdk New Friend

Jan 7, 2008
    Denmark
    Wow, not many people nowadays can say they have been playing with "bird". :D

4. trumpet01

trumpet01 New Friend

Jan 13, 2008
    I think we are going to take the act on the road. We're trying to reach an agreement on salary with the bird,but he is being very uncooperative.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    How's this - I was on a gig with a big band when I was about 16, playing tunes during set-up time between acts at a talent show. We were in the middle of a nice quiet vocal, and I slid my chair just a little too far back on the riser....no chair rail, and riser about 5' tall....needless to say, the chair went crashing off the riser, I landed flat on my butt, and I had all the audience attention I could ever possibly want! I was just lucky not to smash my horn or have my skirt over my head! Since then I've been VERY careful with chairs on risers...:dontknow:

6. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Maybe you're offering him the wrong kind of green - try grass instead of lettuce.