Update

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-man-, Dec 12, 2011.

1. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Hello guys,

just want to thank you all (Rowuk especially) for the input you have given regarding certain trumpets and then french horns. A lot of it seems to have been a brain exercise but I do appreciate it.

With the Cornet/French horn thing, my wife loves the Cornet, so the french horn is out. We also found a Silver Plated Besson student Cornet. She is very, very happy with it, sounds quite nice, and the valve action is pretty good for a student Cornet. No complaints or regrets here. The more she is playing it the more I am happy she stuck with that than taking what I thought which is the French Horn. It really compliments the trumpet because it is in the same range. We can read from the same book, learn the same stuff because the instrument is played and tuned exactly the same. Also as far as appearance goes, I find the Cornet to really suit her. She is a small build yet beautiful lady and the short length of the Cornet compare to trumpet suits as it is 'more cute' if you will and the beautiful way the cornet drops in the back like a U shape, just makes it look very elegant. It really suits her. A french horn would have been Huge compare to her and just doesn't seem to work. She loves Cornet so much and I think it suits her perfectly, that when we are professional in our playing ability, she will stay a Cornetist while I will be a Trumpeter. So we are very happy with the decision.

In regards to the trumpet questions I have asked... I have decided to keep my Stomvi Mambo 5. I am better of focusing on how to play better, how to really make this trumpet sing. Once this is accomplished, then I will be ready to look for something else. Also by this stage I would know what I am after. Given I will be in America for 4 years as of next August, I figured there is a lot more stuff there available to try than there is here in Australia. So rather than just upgrading to a 43 stradivarius now because it seems better than the Stomvi... once I am a good player, I may not want the strad as I would be more in tune with what I am after. So I am going to hold it off and focus on me playing rather than the instrument and when I am good I will end up with the right instrument rather than another trumpet I need to sell because it also was not what I am really looking for.

Guess the only thing I would ask in regards to Cornet, is there a reason why the cornets have that bum in the back? It gives it a beautiful/elegant look, I really like that but, is there a purpose to it?

Im out,
    George

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Are you referring to the Shepards crook? The bend if the bell where it meets the valves. That is just to make the bell shorter and to look good.

Good choice with your trumpet, maybe you can visit the Monette factory and try them out too.

3. G-man-

G-man- New Friend

Nov 26, 2011
    Monette is definitely on the list. Yes that section that drops behind the valves toward your body as a little hook/u shape.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Good, I would like to go to the Monette factory sometime. The shepards crook is just to make the bell shorter, does nothing to the sound.