Upgrade to 8310Z or buy a new pipe?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetpimp, Jul 30, 2004.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I just tried the 8310Z today. I was very impressed. I played the 6310Z a few times and as much I wanted to like it I found it stuffy. The 8310Z is everything I like in my trumpet and more. It has a huge warm sound that would blend just as well in concert band or quintet as my 6335HII and lit up nicely in the upper register. It slotted nicer up there too. I've always had trouble finding the high E and F on my trumpet but this horn opened them up nicely. [My double G is pretty tame so it's tough to comment on that. :roll: ] The medium bore seemed to blow just as open as my ML but the response seemed quicker. I'm looking forward to trying a silver version to see if it's brighter and quicker.

Here's my question. Can I get a horn that's as good or better than the 8310Z in my 6335 by changing the pipe on it? I've been thinking about going Pilczuk or GR(when they finally release their darn pipes). I understand GR will be producing a tuning slide that will be fit with the new pipe so I could even switch to reverse tuning and kill some braces in the meantime.

On the other hand....what do you guys think if going for the 8310Z as a bright horn and modding the 6335 to be darker. It's got a yellow brass bell and it's only ML but I suspect a bigger pipe(maybe copper) and some heavy caps mixed with a custom GR 65.6VB fatboy might do it. Thoughts?

[This same post is on TH but I thought it would be wise to post here as well.]

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I could swear that I already responded to this. Is it over on TH also?

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Check the last line of the post, Dave. :lol:

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Oops! :oops:

5. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Just buy the new one.... That's always more fun! While you're at it treat your self to a new flugel and combo gig bag to carry the horns!

WWWD? (What Would Wynton Do?) LOL!

J/k.... I heard the new 8310Z's are much improved over the 6310Z.

-C-