Upgrading Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mheffernen5, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

I am a junior in high school and I don't know what kind of trumpet to look at. I tried a Bach Strad 37 through my high school and I really have narrowed it down to Yamaha or Bach. I would consider myself an intermediate trumpet player.

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, we really need to know just what it is you are gonna try to play before we can make suggestions. All I can really say to you now is just to shop, price, and try out in the store.

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Look at a lot of Strads (some are much better than others), as well as Yamaha Xenos, Conn Vintage Ones and B&S Challenger IIs.

If you look for some older posts in this forum you'll find a lot more helpful stuff - basically try everything and buy the trumpet you like most that you can afford.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Or.... if I may make a suggestion.... start thinking about the next edition of the Eclipse trumpet contest! I'm thinking that Leigh has something really special in mind. Why not go "all out"? All you have to lose is some time! And you sure can't argue with the price of entry to the contest!

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Ed,

funny you should mention that - I was thinking about my next theme for the contest earlier today...

Hopefully I will have it all down on paper before it happens because you just can't beat that price.

-marc

6. mheffernen5

Thank you all for the help :) The feed back is awesome. Does anyone know much about Yamaha Allegro? I am thinking that may be better than a Bach even though I tried Bach.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    One other horn you might look at is the B & S Challenger II. They're getting pretty good reviews. Not sure what recent currency changes have done to the prices... but they are supposed to be in the "Bach sound" school (if there is such a thing).

8. mheffernen5

To answer Michael's question -
    I have tried a Bach 37. I thought it was ok. I am trying to narrow it to Bach or Yamaha though. I saw a Yamaha pro Japan model which was a loaner for someone in my section who has a new King pro trumpet which had some gold showing because the fake silver. It didn't look too bad--I mean the Yamaha loaner.

Molly :)

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Hmm, if I was sitting in your shoes, I would probably go with one of these;
    Bach Strad 37
    Yamaha Xeno
    Conn V-1

It will just depend on you trying some horns and finding one that you like. Out of those 3, I have played myself the first two, and found they were both incredibly solid horns. I've only heard about the V-1, but it's been nothing but good reviews.

10. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Gents,

Get the nomenclature down correctly, it is a Bach 180, as in 180, LT180, LR180.

The differences you can select are leadpipe and bell:
    - leadpipes - 25, 25-O, 6, 7, 43, 44, 25LR standard on the LR, 43 LR
    - bell - 37(ML), 43(XL), 72(MLV), 65, 25, 38(M)

So to say it is a 37 doesn't indicate the model, just the bell!?

Sorry guys, but when you use the correct name everyone undserstands