Upper Lip Pinching

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet_freak, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Trumpet_freak

Trumpet_freak New Friend

Mar 19, 2011
    Hello everyone. My trumpet teacher has been having me buzz only my upper lip into my mouthpiece for the past few weeks (lower lip was apparently causing problems), and that went fine. Last week my practice time suffered, and now I can't stop pressing into my upper lip to get any real range. My sound is choked, and although it isn't painful, it doesn't feel right. I can't get in touch with my teacher for two weeks, so I just wanted to see if anyone had feedback. It's difficult to practice now because it feels like everything I play is wrong, but I have to keep playing to keep my lip up. Thank you for any replies.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    check out Keith Fiala on the web -- he teaches using air for higher notes --and not pressure --- I assume you are only having problems with the highest part of your range - that convinced your teacher to buzz the upper lip. long tones - like a second line (in the staff) G will help keep the lip in shape --- so if you can play a G, take a breath, play it again as long as you can (softly) --- I think that will help for the next few weeks.

Trumpet High Note Help, Trumpet Lessons Online, Beginning Trumpet Lessons, Trumpet Books,

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your teacher must have a reason for that.

I do not believe in serving two gods. Either run with what your teacher says or dump him. I can offer no opinion on what he recommends. I have never heard of this technique or used anything like it in my 35+ years of teaching.

Just doing something else can destroy whatever he is trying to accomplish.

Success is measured in months and years not days. Forget range and do what the only person here that has ever heard and seen you play -your teacher wants you to - until they get back.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Remember also that your teacher has enough faith in your intelligence and attitude to comfortably leave you to get on with it yourself for a couple of weeks. Trust yourself too - try to continue with what was suggested to you.