upper register problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by D_MaN, May 10, 2009.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Thanks Rowuk,
    Yes, the lips are the major player in what we're talking about. A good read about this can be found at the university of new south wales via their acoustics department and in an article called high notes aren't hard by Drucker. I can not disagree with your claim since I now use a method best described as a squished "M". I spoke with Faddis recently and it appears he uses the same method.
    However, by using the arch tongue and hiss method as described in the site mentioned earlier and discussed by J. Pocius(sp) (Natural trumpet) and to shape the sound in the mouth "like whistling", the process of playing higher seems to be easier. Using myself as an example, recently I went from rolling my lips inward to play in the stratosphere to using a squished "M" to do the same thing. By conciously playing attention to the placement of my tongue and its relation to the note I'm playing(arch tongue and hiss), I've been able to change my embrochure approach(lip roll to squished "M") in the high upper register in quick order. Will tongue arch alone do the trick? doubtful. However, a balanced combination of arch tongue and hiss, Squished "M" embrochure and abdominal muscle control will do the trick. In addition, is this the only way to achieve high notes? doubtful again. Hence confusion sometimes arises.
    I often tell students to "think whistling" when they are suffering from too much mouthpiece pressure and it often helps.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The first thing you must do is to find a teacher who knows and understands different embouchure types , not all teachers do, if you're doing something wrong ,practicing will only reinforce you,re bad habits unless their corrected first, we can give you hundreds of suggestions over the internet ,but without seeing you in person it's only guess work and could do more harm than good.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    All this talk about tongue placement reminds me of the threads about Jerome Callet and his "superchops" embochure. Similar schools of thought?

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    hi gbdeamer,
    I just went to superchops website and "wow" what a site. From what I read, there appears to be similarities. One such similarity is when he talks about the tongue thickening toward the top front of the teeth thus making it easier to play in the upper register. This could be equated to using the tongue in Tongue Arch and Hiss article and the concept of "thinking whistling".

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    D MaN - You've never stated whether or not you have a teacher. Where is Bendigo, by the way? Any advice from all of us who are online is well-intentioned, but without hearing you and watching what you're doing could do more harm than good. Let us know where you live (closest big city) and maybe some of us can suggest a good teacher in the area. After that, consider our advice and opinions.

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    That´s EXACTLY right (exept for the fact that
    air pressure created by the "exhale muscles"
    determines this as well) !!

True! I´d REALLY like to see some scientific
    investigating doneabout this.
    The home made theories that flourish are of
    NO USE to anybody!!

Something certainly happens that helps us.
    The question is just what and how . . .

7. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland

hmm, Yes it is interesting...what about; maby it reduces the amount of air (like an air brake) rusching towards the aperture making it easyer for the aperture to control?? :dontknow:

I´m just playing with my thoughts..I do not know

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    You mean like providing a short moment of
    released pressure, easing up the lip control
    process? Could be . . .

The suggestions I´ve heard so far is:

1) makes air faster

2) alters the resonance inside mouth

3) makes the air beam hit the lips elsewhere

4) your previous suggestion

Among these, I personally do not believe
    in 1) and 3). Number 2) and 4) could both
    have something to do with it, and it would
    be very interresting to have someone do
    some serious studying on this subject, I think!

9. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    adding to the list what many Trumpetplayers belive:

5) it automaticly roles the lips slightly in when raising the tongue

I do personaly not belive in that ( the point 5 I mean)

10. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    yes that is what I mean...could that be it? of with the pressure for a super short while (that would be when tongue rises) and that gives the aperture more eas of moving/ keeping in place ? ? ? ? ?