Upper register question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Nov 1, 2008.

1. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Hi all,

I have a question regarding my higher register playing. I have been able to play the C above the stave since i can remember but recently i have found i can go higher than this to an F/G or even an A depending on if im having a good day. The problem is the sound gets too much of a squeal and the instrument dosent sound or feel like it wants to be there. I suppose i should say that its a seven year old Jupiter student model which has no problems with any other aspect of playing.

Is it me needing to practice more? Is it just the fact that the instrument is a student model and shouldnt be up there? Or is it me needing to change mouthpiece if i want to sound good at that hight? I have been looking at a Jet Tone Leon Merian Sizzler model which says it is perfect for high register playing, is it worth buying it to see?

:play:

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How old are you? what trumpet background do you have? do you have a private trumpet teacher. Consistant ranges come as a result of sensible daily practice in the middle, low and medium upper registers. You can't learn this from a book!!

Bob G

3. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Im 18, 19 in two weeks. I have been playin for 11 years in brass bands, jazz bands, big bands and school orchestra's. I used to have lessons but i dont any more as i cant find a teacher and cant afford one at the moment.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Horner,
    just start practicing up there. Don't mess around with mouthpieces. You are playing Eb Cornet and that is giving your chops a work out! If the high notes get thin, rejoice! You are doing something right - not "squeezing" those notes out with pressure(then the high notes just stop coming). Stay relaxed and play up there with that thin sound - it will grow with use. Avoid pressure on the upper lip, take big breaths, that is all that you need.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What mouthpiece are you now using?

6. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Im using a standard Bach 7c, always have done. I have an equivalent Kelly 7C which i use sometimes.

7. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Some people love a Bach 7C.
    Some people hate Bach 7C.

I am one of the people that hate it.

I can play a Double C on a Bach 7-NoLetter.
    I can play a Double C on a Bach 7E.
    But I have trouble playing a High C on a Bach 7C.
    I hated Bach 7C in Junior High School, and I hate it just as much decades later, although I have no idea why that particular mouthpiece has always given me so much trouble.

A Bach 7C is much deeper than Bach 3C or many of the other Bach C cups, making high notes on a Bach 7C more of a challenge.
    I am not telling you to change mouthpieces.
    I am just telling you that when it comes to your Bach 7C, some people love it and some people hate it.
    Even switching to a Conn 7C or some other 7C made by some other company was a help to me, because many of the other companies made their 7C mouthpieces slightly shallower than the Bach version.

Have you ever tried a Bach 3C (very popular) or a Bach 8C (great mouthpiece but you would have to order one), both of which are shallower than a Bach 7C?

By the way, student instruments often tend to play tighter in the upper register and thus give a thinner tone.
    Professional trumpets will often maintain a more open tone in the upper register and thus give a better tone up there.

- Morris

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  8. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau
    Beware of blaming the hardware.
    That could result in a never ending search for "your" mpc or trumpet.

Practicing much is not the same as practicing right.
    I´d rather work with slightly different embouchure setting but sorry, that can´t be taught via internet.
    Herbert

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  9. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    The only Trumpet mouthpieces i have played are the Bach 7C, Kelly 7C, and Kelly Screamer which is rubbish to be honest. I was started on the 7c and never changed off it. I wouldnt say its brilliant but i get by on it.

I know it can cause problems changing mouthpieces and instruments etc. But i would be more scared about changing my embouchure as i have heard some bad stories about it.

I will have to order any mouthpiece i tried, there are no decent brass shops out in my area. Would i get a period to test the mouthpieces out if i ordered from the internet?

10. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau