Upper register question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    One of my teachers used to tell me that there were three stages to learning to do something new. First, you can't do it. Then you can do it badly, and finally you can do it well! Obviously, that's a little tongue in cheek, but the theory is right. It sounds like you're into a new part of the register, and are probably in the second stage...that's good! Give it some time, practice up there a little and let the squeaky sounds grow into bigger sounds. Where there's smoke, there's fire!

2. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Thats a vey positive way of looking at things, lol. Thank you, i will keep that in mind. :-)

3. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Roger Ingram told me what Jon Faddis told him that Bobby Shew told him: "High squeaks become high notes" with practice and becoming familiar with what the note should "feel like" and sound like. You will find that the more often you play up there, especially softly, the more "good days" you will have.

Good luck!

Stile442 likes this.
  4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I would stay with the bach 7C. Your problem is not the mpc. Its about learning to play correctly with good basic playing habits. How you practice is as important as what you practice. You really need one on one private lessons. Can't you find a private trumpet teacher somwhere? When I was in high school I had to drive 45 minutes one way for my lessons. Of course we had to walk to school 5 miles barefoot in the snow up hill both ways.

By the way Adolph Hersuth played the first 10 years or so with Chicago on the same mpc he started as a beginner, a Bach 7C. After his car accident and split lip, Bach made him the bach 1 that he played until he retired.

Bob G

5. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    hello, the merian sizzzzzler is a jet-tone shallow cup, .640 ID, or so,but the back bore is a double bore as they call it,need a whole lotta air to push through ,also it has a 26 throat.
    the sound is very full coming out the horn,but make sure you don't "blow-yourself-out",practice,practice,practice........... playing the horn,breathing etc.,.......
    there's alot of mouthpieces out there,ask some of your fellow players what they use and ask if you can try afew,if they don't mind,try their horns too
    if your in hawaii, i have a Benge CG and a 3,my friend has a Benge 5,and another friend has a taylor and a bach, sometimes we trade off on the horns,but we all go back to or own,used to i guess.
    our mouthpieces range from jet-tones,warburtons,marcinkiewicz,fokus,monettes, different sizes for different genres
    find your "comfort level", be it a horn,mouthpiece or a combo that you find that you like.
    try b4 you buy ,if it works ,go for it, i had my CG since 1974-75 ? / mouthpiece, a jet-tone
    studio model B,"modified",since that time also (on the 3) / a fokus L10.5 on the CG
    hope this helps a little,
    aloha,

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you like the Bach 7C rim try a Bach 7D or 7E. the D cup is shallower than the C, the E cup shallower than the D. Some mail order companies such as The Woodwind & Brasswind have a trial and return policy.

7. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There have been some very good comments here that I agree with. In particular, I completely agree with the notion that equipment is NOT a substitute for developing proper technique, good practice habits and getting private instruction from a competent teacher.

Having said all that, I'll offer a slightly different take as well...

While equipment is not and should not be considered a shortcut, there are times when equipment can help energize the musician or help make a leap in progress. When I came back to playing trumpet after almost a ten-year layoff, I was still playing my old Bach 37 that I purchased in 9th grade and played all through college. It was a great sounding horn, but it was all I had ever played (I think I may have tried some classmates' Yamaha or Schilke horns once, but that was it). As a "gift" to myself for digging the horn out of the closet, I took a trip to a music shop that had a large variety of horns on hand to try. I spent an afternoon trying a bunch of horns, and I was amazed how much freer and easier blowing some of the horns were in the upper register than my old Bach. I ended up purchasing a Kanstul 1600 and my enjoyment of playing and practicing every day took a huge leap, which led then to great progress in my level of playing.

Turned out a few years later, I had that Bach refurbished with a new leadpipe and what had once been a "stuffy" Bach in the upper register turned into the best instrument I've ever played.

So yes, equipment will NOT substitute for practice. But sometimes an upgrade in equipment will make things a bit more enjoyable and lead to benefits just through increasing one's enthusiasm for making music.

(Before I get flamed by anybody, remember to reread my first paragraph disclaimer, OK? :-))

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    What piece are you using on your cornets? If it's Wick, they make trumpet pieces with the same rims. That would make for an easy switch.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    For those of you who said don`t change equipment , how many of you are using the same mouthpiece you started on years ago ,and if not ,why was it good for you to change mouthpieces but not for anyone else to change? The reason so many different sizes are made is because one size doesn`t fit all.

10. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I play on a Bach for all my instruments except flugel which came with a yamaha bobby shew mouthpiece.