Upper register question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Horn and mouthpiece are as clean as a whistle inside?

There must be some good players in some of the ensembles you play in that would help a good kid. Ask around. Be persistent. Offer to do chores in trade for a lesson. Folks want to say "yes" to someone who is worth devoting time to.

2. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    [quote
    There must be some good players in some of the ensembles you play in that would help a good kid. Ask around. Be persistent. Offer to do chores in trade for a lesson. Folks want to say "yes" to someone who is worth devoting time to.[/quote]

Thats another problem i have, finding someone to get lessons with. My last one has retired and i cant find another. I sit second chair for all the bands im in but the first chair player is too busy and lives too far away for lessons.

Is it worth trying out a new mouthpiece or not? Are Jet Tone any good?

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    A Bach 7C is fine , don`t press ,let your air do the work ,and try aiming the air stream at either the top or bottom of the mouthpiece as you go higher and don`t use pressure, play as softly as you can ,using excesive pressure chokes off the upper register, relax, arch your tongue ,support the air stream Practice arpeggos slurred one week to your top note then tongued the next week ,everyday try the next 1/2 step higher rember to play softly and don`t forget long tones and flexibility exercises.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you really want to extend your range without getting into some bad habits, you really need to find a good teacher WHO KNOWS HOW to help you do this. someone with the range you are looking for. Not someone who's working with a theory. Someone who knows how to do it and teach. Not all good players can teach but all good teachers have to be good players.

5. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    well, i'm 14 and i've been playing for 3 years, but i consider myself very skilled, i'm a freshman and i'm in the senior jazz band, i play on a bach 3C megatone, and i suggest it isn't your trumpet. its your mouth.