Upper teeth digs into upper lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 25, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    When I'm playing, my upper teeth digs into the back of my upper lip, and it leaves a teeth mark on it after I play, and it kind of hurts. How can I fix this?

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’m not trying to be funny here but get a teacher. Your teeth should not be digging into the back of your upper lip. If it is something is going on with how you “Set” into your mouthpiece. Also without seeing you actually play face to face, people here will not be able to give you the attention you need….. Good Luck !

3. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I figured out what the problem was...turns out my upper and lower teeth didn't line up vertically, so the upper teeth was sticking out a little. I decided to hold the corners of my lips down so that my jaw would move forward.

4. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    sounds like you may be using too much pressure - pulling the horn into your mouth too much.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm no dentist or orthodontist, but observing brass musicians for many years, I believe their are very few who have upper and lower teeth that perfectly match up and most of those that do have dentures or have had extensive orthodontics. IMO you should NOT feel the mouthpiece with your teeth, or just minimal.