Upper vs. Lower lip.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rms573, Feb 23, 2005.

1. rms573

rms573 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm curious to see if more "lead" players use more upper or lower lip in their set-up? I've seen a lot of lead guys use more upper lip and I just ran across this picture of seneca black
    www.monette.net/newsite/online/mbc2000/images/mbc2000_044.jpg

It also seems more "legit" players use more lower....Can you think of a reason for this?

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I second STCMAN.

The only viable reason I can see for the usage of more upper lip in high register playing is that it can aid in the compression of the air by focusing it into the bottom cup of the mouthpiece causing it to spin faster as it goes through the throat.... More lower for classical, dunno... maybe warm up the tone somehow? Just my two cents, can I get change?

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    When I played with a *MUCH* lower lip setting, I had an easier time playing high than low. My instructor told me that it was because of the thinest bit of upper lip flapping faster than the lower.

I have found out I like having my mouthpiece anchored on the highest part of my upper lip, not going onto the flesh. It really feels comfortable, and everything playing-wise feels (and sounds) better.

Van

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I really should see someone about this, I guess. I play pretty much the way Van used to, mostly lower lip.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    who knows what he was playing in that picture. he could have been playing pedals or double C's or getting ready to get the water out of his horn.

you should not draw any conclusions based on that picture.

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    That's what I meant. I'm not so dense as to try to make a major change like that just off of an internet board. I was referring more like going and paying pops a visit, maybe over Spring Break, or maybe this summer. I sound ok, but I know I can be more efficient.

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, PLEASE, no one ever go and do something based solely on what I say. I'm not what some people call "smart." :D

I will have to say, after the switch, I am having a much more enjoyable time putting the horn to my face.

Van

8. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    LOOK at a mouthpiece.

Place a ruler dircetly across the center.

This is where it is widest.

If your lips are 50/50 then you have the widest possible surface area for vibrations.

Move either up or down (it doesn't matter) and the amount of vibrating surface is reduced.

The only difference in moving up vs down is in possible volume.

Since the top lip is the vibrating lip if you pin it down it can't get the amplitude to play loudly. (So when you play lower in the cup more lip CAN move and you can get louder) but as far a range goes it doesn't matter on the whole. It is merely what a given person gets used to. IT can work equally in that regard.

BTW LOOKS are extremely decieving in this regard. Many people have one lip bigger than the other. So what may LOOK like more of one lip in the cup than another; is really the 2 lips meeting in the center of the mouthpiece. (We can't see the center from pictures but only with visualizers, cut away pieces, clear pieces etc.)

9. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I have heard that the more upper setting can get you a fatter extreme upper and better edurence once you get good on it...somthing that im doing also because i tend to switch between 3 spots and i want to put it into one...consult a teacher or someone who knows hardcore what their talking about.

10. My problem is that I never have the same embochure any two times I play. It varies each time. I'm working on keeping it constant and correct but often i completely forget to think about it and play badly and don't understand why until later. Nevermind i'm still learning and got loads of time to fix it.