Ups and Downs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Recursion, May 13, 2013.

1. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Hey Folks:

First off, thanks to everyone's help with my comeback journey. I'm sure I would've lost my fire otherwise...

Well, I think I've had some amazing highs and lows so far. My playing has definitely improved from a year ago, and I swiftly avoided my first wall by starting lessons with a seasoned vet. But now, I find myself further away from playing comfortably in front of a mic. I still miss notes from time to time, my tempo gets nutty from time to time, and my face-time with my horns is never as much as I'd like.

I pick up my horn, and jump right into magic notes, lip slurs, and Arban scales. Yes, they're the basics, the foundation, the necessary routine. But I'm not about to record my slurs and scales, or perform them.

Okay, I'm just whining...and now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :think:

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Why whine or stay in a rut, Recursion? Mix things up and keep things interesting! Selecting appropriately difficult challenging new tunes and mastering them may benefit you technically just as much as what your present routine does, and you may be more inclined to record your results, too!
    Jim

3. Recursion

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Just venting. Yup, I agree 110%. I'm mixing things up over here...I've got some play-alongs to listen through. :)

Thanks for chiming in, Jim.

George

4. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    Hi George,
    I too bounce off the wall, hit dreaded dead periods where I feel I'm lucky to be treading water and sometimes even want to flick it all in and maybe play a saxophone or even a kazoo. Then I do something different (change the practice routine, work on range differently, work on tone differently,... and then it comes back.

Joining a band would be a great diversion but my work schedule says no to that with frequent and often unscheduled business travel keeping things too tough to commit to an organization.

The thing that helps me the most is to think long term. I took a break in my comeback for 6 months last year and decided that was not the best thing to have done. As long as I pace myself like training for a big climb or a marathon...things are ok. Impatience is my enemy. Looking at horn and mouthpiece safaris is a diversion but after a while they get uninteresting too so I come back to me....the weakest link and the part that has to do the work.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I had a good friend who was more into doing things well than making money. He fixed up a 1950's VW Beetle, with scrounged fenders and other parts and painted it black using spray paint out of those rattle cans. He did a fine job, but the end result wasn't very glossy. He then used 00 steel-wool and water to buff it up. To me, it all seemed pretty stupid--scrounging around junk yards, applying multiple thin coats of hardware store paint then going over every inch again. That would have frustrated me to tears. He enjoyed it though, because he had this vision of a shiny black VW in his head, and he was as delighted pursuing his dream as he was achieving it.

It's all about attitude. It is all too easy to look up after spending hours buffing one fender and be disheartened at the fact there are three more to do, plus the doors, hood, trunk and roof. I think it is a good idea to look from time to time at the shiny parts we've done, and think: "If I keep at it, everything will shine some day!"

Have fun, and if worse comes to worse, "punish" your trumpet by not playing for a day. Gotta show it who's boss sometimes.

6. Recursion

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Thanks Randall & VB.

I've now realized that it's not my fault, it my trumpet's fault. In fact, all of their faults! I'm going to have to have a stern talk with them all, and make sure they understand that they can all be replaced or tossed into a closet for years, and the only common requirement between them are my chops. ROFL

But seriously, thanks guys. I'm working on picking out a new, fun piece to play. :whistle:

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hey Recursion, if you're coming to ITG this year, check out our clinic on comeback playing. David Brown is THE pro when it comes to comeback players.

8. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    ...I like this idea...I'm going to make them all tremble in fear and if one of them does not play well then I'll just get another one out
    .....eh eh eh eh eh...I may even go "cornet" on them if they don't shape up. :shhh:

9. Recursion

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I wasn't planning on it, but I'll look into it! In Grand Rapids, right?

10. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    Only in the third month of my "comeback" and things were suddenly getting worse. Took a couple of days off and tonight, I'm back on track. I can easily say that I have gone from sounding like a fifth grader to a solid seventh grader. The best part is that I'm having a great time! And if my horn gives me grief I have another one just waiting for a shot at the big time.