URGENT! please help, music theory...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, May 7, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys this may seem a stupid question but i need to know what it is, any of you who are piano players will probebly know Chopin's Prelude No.15 in D flat major (Raindrop prelude) and in bar 4 there is an ornament which i refer to as a 'septuplet' but in my revision guide its reffered to as 'a turn written out in full' i i think this is wrong, could someone please shed light on this?!

Peace NYCO10

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  3. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Err, what do you think it wrong about it? The terminology they used? "turn written out in full" makes perfect sense. It's a turn, just written out... in full...

Like, rather than putting the usual ~ marking, he probably wanted a very specific ornamentation and wrote it out so there would be no debate over how to play it properly.

In fact, "turn written out in full" is probably more accurate than "septuplet", since really it's just an ornament and not part of the music.

4. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, but as you probably know a turn starts on the note above the written note, then goes to the written note, followed by the note below the written note. then ends back on the written note. this is only 4 notes. and using this as an example, A turn is written above the note A hence the notes B, A,G and the A should be played but the notes in the Raindrop are Eb, up to F, down to Eb, down to D natural, back to Eb up to F, then up to G, this is the sextuplet. still confused!

5. Pete Anderson

Feb 27, 2008
    Well, that's why he "wrote it out in full" ;) It's still basically a turn, it's just not a completely standard one (although it really isn't that different). That's why he specified what notes and how to play it.

Using the term "septuplet" implies that it's part of the melody or hamony, or at the very least that it takes up a beat. It does none of those things, it's an ornament.

When talking about grace notes, do you call them eighth notes?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I did the majority of my trumpet education in jazz, but I am pretty sure that the turn is played different ways depending on when the piece was written, and possibly where as well.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, bottom row - I recognize whistle, sleigh bells, gun, slide whistle, bike horn and wind chimes, but what are the rest?? One of them looks like a toilet!:dontknow:

9. Pete Anderson

Feb 27, 2008

Wow! Cool website. I never knew there was a symbol to indicate triple tonguing. It looks like an alien smiley face: [​IMG]

I think the toilet one (it's just the top of the toilet right? With the flushing handle on the right) might be one of those noisemakers you crank to use.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think the toilet one (it's just the top of the toilet right? With the flushing handle on the right) might be one of those noisemakers you crank to use.[/QUOTE]

Oohhhh - yeah! I think you're right! A rachet, right? :-)