US army regulation bugle what key?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Aug 23, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    What key is the us army regulation bugle in? Is it in b-flat like the standard trumpet or in c or in some other transposition?

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Key of "G"

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The bugles (actually field trumpets) that say "Regulation" on them are in G, as amzi says. The ones used at Arlington are in Bb, though.

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    I am going to teach a kid to play the bugle for a boy scout merit badge. He has a us army regulation bugle. I have a b-flat trumpet. In order to play along with him, which way do I transpose? Is the bugle higher or lower than the trumpet?

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    A bugle in G is lower than a Bb trumpet.

Play your trumpet with the 1st and 2nd valves down. The notes you will play (starting with A below the staff, and going to A above the staff) would be A, E, A, C#, E, A. This will put you in the same key at the G bugle.

christineka likes this.
  6. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Great! Thanks! I'm glad it's so easy to transpose. Now to make lesson plans... (I found the 1951 Army bugle manual for free and it has some good exercises. I may use some from arban as well.)

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Official Boy Scout bugle, if indeed they are still available, is / was also in key of G. Too, the Boy Scouts do/ did publish a booklet for the merit page of bugling as had the music in it ... or at least they did when I earned that merit badge about 62 years ago.

8. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    The boy scout merit badge does have the required bugle calls in it, but a beginner needs beginning exercises first. This kid first needs to learn to buzz, tongue, and strengthen his muscles before he can play the stuff for the merit badge.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although it didn't seem to be my problem at the time, as I was then learning to play French horn and had already played many notes on my brother's Boy Scout bugle, I must agree with you to the extent of getting the basics in first. However, what I believe is missing is the introduction to the auditory recognition of notes. Too, in general, I still don't believe many Scoutmasters and/or Scout councils are that critical about perfection in the performance for the merit badge whereas most of them could not play a bugle or identify an A from an M, which we know an M doesn't exist as a musical note.

10. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Ear training! Great! We'll start working on that from the start. That would seem simple with how few notes the bugle can play and is certainly an important skill. The boy scout must serve as the troop bugler for 6 months, so it would be best if he didn't hurt people's ears for that half a year.