US army regulation bugle what key?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Aug 23, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I have another question. Does a trumpet mouthpiece fit in the bugle?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The answer is NO! (1) You have the mouthpiece as came with the bugle don't you? (2) Too, the mouthpiece is silverplated and not raw brass isn't it?

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a Getzen Field Trumpet, which is played with a trumpet mouthpiece. I believe this is also true of the Kanstul Regulation Bugles. I don't know about other models.

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    The student has the bugle. I haven't seen it yet. I was just wondering if I could stick one of my mouthpieces on the bugle and play it. I will inquire as to the brand of bugle. All I know is that it is old, used, and has some green stuff on it. The instrument was purchased just for the merit badge and will be resold when the badge has been earned.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Normally the U.S. Army Regulation bugles were unlacguered raw brass as is common to develop verdigris (greenish) accumulation when not well maintained. That said, were I sitting on the merit badge council, I could not in my heart award a bugling merit badge with the appearance of the instrument in such condition. I must say this as a veteran who believes to sound TAPS at the funeral of another service member with a bugle or trumpet in such condition would dishonor them. I'm now beginning also to get the suspicion that the tuning slide is also stuck. However, perhaps I did open my mouth and stick my foot in it, whereas a Blessing 7C trumpet mouthpiece did seat in the receiver of my U.S. bugle just 1/8th inch less than in any of my trumpets. Thus, while certainly a trumpeter could then produce sound with it, there remains the question as to being able to accurately center on each note in the key of G even by quick adjustment of the tuning slide or with the lip. To my knowledge, all brands of U.S. Regulation bugles have the same specifications.

6. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    According to mom the bugle says "US Army Regulation made in USA". She says the mouthpiece looks like it can detach, but doesn't think it will any more. We will probably spend a good amount of the first lesson on cleaning and care of the instrument. I will ask if the slide moves freely.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The fit of a trumpet mouthpiece in them is close enough that it works fine. I always tell people who want to use one for bugle calls to use a real trumpet mouthpiece - you can get a much nicer sound out of the bugle with one. Those mouthpieces that come with them aren't much punkin'.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dale may be right, even if the sound will not accurately vibrate my tuning forks. I'll know later today when I've the opportunity to play / sound through a number of calls on my Slingerland U.S. Regulation bugle.

I do want to say the origin of my bugle seems out of the ordinary whereas no evidence supports that Slingerland of Niles IL (now defunct) ever had a brass manufacturing capability, while once recognized as a prized drum manufacturer. Who actually manufactured my bugle I leave as unknown, while the unmarked mouthpiece as came with it has the classic Conn tapered shape excluding the strap space from the rim to the bottom of the shank and with it the bugle plays on pitch in key of G.

Otherwise, a warning! If the mouthpiece is stuck, do not attempt to pull it unless you've a technician's proper mouthpiece pulller and know how to use it. Likewise, the tuning slide as may require many techniques to free it successfully and best to have done by an experienced technician. The tuning slide is pulled towards the mouthpiece on U.S. Reg bugles.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The Kelly Mouthpieces mellophone mouthpiece fits a M1892 bugle if you want an inexpensive piece of your own.

Tom

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just to clarify for the OP, "M1892" is the military designation of a U.S. Regulation bugle. When I try out the trumpet mouthpiece later this afternoon, I will also try out my mellophone mouthpiece.