US army regulation bugle what key?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Aug 23, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I played mellophone in high school band. I had no idea that there were mellophone mouthpieces. I used a trumpet mouthpiece.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Might or might not fit. The Kelly is plastic, so there's a little more give without jamming it in really tight. I originally got it for a Tenite bugle because the mouthpiece that came with it is pretty bad.

Tom

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Are you sure that it was a trumpet mouthpiece (mpc) you played the mellophone with. The two mouthpieces look very much alike and the are played the same. In high school my oldest brother played a circular configuration mellophone in Eb. Mine is a Yamaha marching configuration (trumpet) in F.

OK, I finished playing the bugle with a Kelly 7C trumpet mouthpiece and had to lip a few. Then I played it with a Larry Kerchner M1 - IYM mellophone mpc and it was right on center with a richer / warmer tonality. I then tried my mellophone adapter with a Farkas French horn mpc and again it was on center and warm but not quite as rich. This Larry Kerchner mellophone mpc is a very heavy mpc specifically designed as a balance counterwight to the marching mellophone configuration.

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Yep, I'm sure. I played trumpet and just used my own, trumpet mouthpiece for the mellophone.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Some mellophones take a standard trumpet shank mouthpiece, and others take a slightly different size, similar to a small morse taper flugelhorn mouthpiece. My Kanstul Bb field trumpet takes a standard trumpet mouthpiece, and really plays well with a Bach 6BM, which has a deep cup, 26 throat, and 24 backbore. I have an old M1892 field trumpet at home - I'll try a trumpet mouthpiece in it tonight, but I'm pretty sure I used to play it with an old Conn BI-222 trumpet mouthpiece.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Both the Larry Kerchner mellophone mpc and the Farkas French horn mpc are deep conical cups. Yes, my trumpet mouthpiece did work in the U.S. Reg bugle / field trumpet I have and perhaps as it was my first up, it is very possible that it was my lip just wasn't ready, whereas playing a bugle is all lip (no valves) . I just noted that the trumpet mouthpiece did not seat in the receiver as deep as it does in any of my trumpets and may have been a factor. After 6 songs, I still wasn't happy with the trumpet mpc even as compared with the mpc as came wiith it. It is now my opinion, that the mellophone mpc was an improvement over the original mpc ... but tomorrow or later I may change my mind. The best is whatever works for YOU!

7. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rexcraft is also now a defunct company. It may be an optical illusion, but it appears to me that the leadpipe is bent downward. IF, I don't believe it would cost much to repair it. Otherwise, it looks in decent shape, and considering it was once in the hands of a Boy Scout, I'd call that very unusual. Still, it is usually a rule for trumpeters to play before you pay, so I'd say at least have it in your own hands before you pay and check to pull tuning slide. Too ... no mouthpiece shown. The new ones I've seen ... many many years ago were about the same as a M1892 U.S. Reg.

9. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Yeah, leadpipe appears to be bent. The tuning slide moves freely. no mouthpiece. The seller said he just used a trumpet mouthpiece, but sold the trumpet and the mouthpiece went with it. He reports no rust or blemishes on the bugle. One problem is that I live far away, so I would most likely send a relative to purchase for me and they do not play a brass instrument.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To follow up, I Googled "Rexcraft Bugles" and found out that they were bought by Buglecraft in 1933. Too, I found that the Boy Scouts of America no longer have an Official bugle. I'm also to feel that no evidence supports that either of these companies ever had a brass manufacturing capacity in the United States and that these bugles were imported as were many others provided to our military. However, in researching yours I also found that my Slingerland U.S. Reg was made by Frank Holton as made me very happy.