US army regulation bugle what key?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I just tried a trumpet mouthpiece in my old M1892 field trumpet - it fits as well as the mouthpiece that came with the horn. It doesn't go in quite as far ar it does on my trumpets, but plenty far enough to seat well.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    If you want a new M1892 go to scoutbugle.com

Tom

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dale, that's the same as I found with mine. Then, did you attempt any bugle calls with it ? If so, any resulting comment?
    -------
    Ed Lee

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No, my wife had already gone to bed...;-) , but I've never cared for the quality of calls from it with any mouthpiece.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Had you then sounded Revielle you might have expected a divorce ... just as I would after 44 years of marriage. Too, I'm not that keen on any instrumental music in the Key of G, even though it is easier for me to sing, especially ballads as I play my mandolin in accompaniment. On the brass, the Key of G just doesn't "zing" with brilliance.

Nope, my Silent Brass or other mute doesn't fit my Slingerland U.S. Reg M1892 bugle which only last night I found was made by Frank Holton & Company. I had long suspected that reknown drum company never had a brass instrument capability. Holton also made them for Ludwig Drum Company.

Let us know your comment when you do attempt to play Your M1892 bugle with a trumpet mpc.

Still, I've now sounded "Taps" twice at funerals locally with my bugle.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, I used mine years ago for Taps, then went with one of those Indian copies of a British bugle, and then bought a Kanstul Bb field trumpet. The Kanstul is a real instrument, and you can tell it when you play it. Great tone, no notes out of tune, etc.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It may well be a Kanstul Bb bugle as is now used at ANG. I feel it would be much more brilliant in Bb and a tonal quality I am much more familiar with. I have attended a number of funerals at ANG.

Too, I have a Brit style made in India, and one as is much heavier as has no origin or other marking on it, the latter as seems to have its mpc soldered in. Forensic analysis of said "solder" is said to be same used by many percussion cap and flint lock riflemen, but has no traces of that used in trades. I acquired it from $1.00 barrel among Christmas ornamental post horns in SA Thrift store. Perhaps I shouldn't have cleaned and polished it but it now shines and plays well enough for what it is. Someday, I may have the mpc pullled by a tech. I didn't attempt it with my Bobcat.