use my old trumpet or get a new one?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wanderedinn, Aug 26, 2007.

1. wanderedinn

wanderedinn New Friend

Aug 26, 2007
    Acworth, GA
    I've got a Getzen series 300 trumpet that I played in elementary school. So, it was brand new in 1966. Question is, is this horn dated? Should I take it to a shop and have it refurbished or trade it in for a new one? Thanks for any insights folks.

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    I suggest cleaning it up in the sink with some dish detergent and warm (not hot) water using some brushes designed for trumpet cleaning then oil the valves and grease the slides and see how it works.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Modern society is based on consumption, consumption, consumption. You are doing everybody a favor by buying a new horn!
    Seriously, how can we answer this question based on the information that you gave us? The Getzen is (still) a decent student horn. How well do you play, are you taking lessons, what do you play, how much do you practice, how many thousands of miles are on the horn, are the valves still tight, any signs of corrosion, do all of the valves and slides, spit keys still move? Did you own and use and cleaning equipment (cleaning snake and mouthpiece brush) back then for instance?
    The more info you give us, the better our answer (although with a detailed description, many times we answer the question ourselves!).

4. wanderedinn

wanderedinn New Friend

Aug 26, 2007
    Acworth, GA
    Thanks for the responses. As for the questions... I've not played this horn in about 40 years. I plan to start taking lessons from my daughter's band director. My interests lie in most any music, but for the horn, I love jazz. I played this horn for about 3 years, 40+ years ago. The values seen to function fine, slides work and the spit values function as well. I do own a cleaning snake, but plan to replace it as it is as old as the horn. There are a few small dings in the horn and there is some wear along the valve area where the left hand holds the horn. An update on the horn. I've decided to loan it to an upcoming middle school student who has interest in playing the trumpet, so it looks like I'll be looking at purchasing a new horn. Her parents are going to take the horn to a shop to get it assessed and the maintenance updated. Thanks again for the help folks.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Check with the Band Director for some suggestions. Once you have an idea how much money you want to spend, we will be more than happy to help!

6. mikeman7

mikeman7 New Friend

Aug 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Hi!

I'm an adult beginner and have been playing for a year and a half. I've been playing other instruments for many years though. I started with a Getzen 390 made around 2001. I know that's a lot newer than your horn but, anyway.....they're very nice beginner horns but, i found the size of the the bell pipe radius small. So, it was tight and uncomfortable to hold as an adult. They are more suited to kids' hand size. You'll be better off with a different horn just for comforts sake. just my take.....

7. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    My thoughts as a comebacker....

I would suggest cleaning up the old horn and using it for a while. Once you get a few lessons in, and start improving, you and your teacher will have a better idea of what horn would be a good purchase for you.

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY

Yes!

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Nope ....naw.....
    Bad idea, what cha do is send that baby to me
    and for get about playing......just kidding bro!

For real get to know that baby again,give it a bonding bath.
    You may not even need a new horn, that one may still need breakin in.

10. wanderedinn

wanderedinn New Friend

Aug 26, 2007
    Acworth, GA
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'll be looking for a new horn soon, since I loaned my old one to a friend's daughter. I'm going to talk to my daughter's music director on suggestions of what horn to purchase. Thanks again.