Using 2 embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 1, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I recently had an embouchure change a few days ago. This has been really inconvenient, since the band that I am playing in is rehearsing a lot and we have a show coming up. Because of this, I currently play with my old embouchure during rehearsal and then practice with my new emouchure during self practice sessions. So I basically use both embouchures. Is this healthy?

My old embouchure was wrong because my bottom lip was curled in too much and I'd play from the side, making my endurancec very low. My new embouchure changes this and lets me play in the center. However, my new embouchure isn't strong enough for me to play songs just yet.

2. Dwight L Lancaster

Dwight L Lancaster New Friend

Sep 1, 2009
    Use one or the other, switching around in that manner always hindered me and may well you too!

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Go with the embouchure that is most comfortable and gives the best sound. Do not over-analyse too much,
    Centred - who cares, look at Maynard and many other Pros.
    Why did you change?
    Cheers

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I know you said your old embrochure was wrong due to the bottom lip and you playing to the side and such.....but if you really care about LOOKS I'd take Peter's advice. I play to my side and people made fun of me, until they realized they played to the side too. You'd be surprised as to how many trumpet players play to the side of their mouth!:-)

5. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Will using both embouchures limit me a lot? In what way and to what degree would I be limited?

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I see that you made the embouchure change primarily due to your low endurance. You mentioned both the bottom lip curled and playing on the side as contributors to this problem. Did you come to this conclusion or did someone tell you that was the cause? Are you trying to correct both issues at the same time? Aside from the fact that the new embouchure has not become established for you, does it seem more natural and comfortable with a sense that it will be better? Or, do you find that it is very stressful to try and maintain it and find yourself constantly reverting to the old way?

I ask these questions because, as has been stated in numerous threads by many contributors, embouchure changes are a long-term project and need to be done with some guidance. I have also been going through an embouchure change lately but in my case, I find that the new embouchure feels better, is more natural, and gives me a sense that it is really a better way to play (my old one involved a bottom lip somewhat curled in). I do not need to fight it - I just need to accommodate it. I regularly forget to practice with the new one so when I remember - which is when my lip starts to give out from the old way - I simply switch and play with the new one. It is almost like taking a rest because it uses different muscles and those are not tired yet. But, I do not see any harm in switching back and forth. As I progress, I find myself playing less and less with the old one and more and more with the new one and my range and endurance are progressing nicely.

So, it seems to me that the issue is two-fold: (a) Finding someone to help you decide that the new one is really better for you, and (b) patience and practice - until the new one takes over and becomes habitual and you start to see the improvements in endurance that you are looking for.

Good luck.

7. bigdanv

bigdanv Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2009
    Connecticut
    I would say yes, using two embouchures is a problem, or at least it would be for me. Wait until your show is over, and then proceed with the switch. It's best to go cold turkey when switching embouchures.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you are going to switch embouchures then switch. Don't jump back and forth all you will do is make your progress with the new embouchure very limited and develop more bad habits. Listen to your teahcer. Sometimes we have to step back in order to move forward.

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Follow through despite temporary setbacks. Of course you won't be able to rehearse in your best tone for now, but this is long term. If you keep at it with the good embouchure, you will probably gain flexibility and clarity of sound soon. Range, however, will be more limited-don't worry about it. All of this stuff is long term.

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009