Using 2 mouthpieces during practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like you already have some bad habits. I would find a good teacher.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pick one and stick with it. If you need to cool down, take a glass of tap water into your practice session and sip from time to time. The switch probably doesn't matter, but you aren't solving the problem either.

Endurance for only 30 minutes means that you are either playing too loud or too high too much. LOW IMPACT practice sessions give you the power to build chops.

3. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    OK I have ditched 11C4. I started practcing 30 minutes ago ith 7C and I am only practcing pieces that go up until tuning C and D above tuning C to keep it as low as possible. And with a sip of water from time to time. I will report in a few days if there are some changes in my durability. ATM there is modrate swell in my lips however but milder than it used to be probably due to the lower range. That swell will probably go away after 10 minutes of rest. Than I will do another 30 minutes.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    The Golden rule is:

REST AS MUCH AS YOU PLAY.

5. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Did another 30 minutes after some 20 of rest, no big issues. Lips slightly swollen but not as much as before. And I can almost feel I could do another 30 minutes after the rest . Occasional sip of water also hlped a bit since I kept every sip in my mouth for a minute before swalowing during my resting period

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The reason for the sip was to cool the lips and relax the throat. Keeping the water in the mouth where it warms up will not keep the lips cool or throat relaxed. Man do I dislike DIY.

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    what is DIY? I said something wrong?

(bare in mind I am not a native english speaker)

besids I nevr had any problem with throat, on contrary. I had problem with lips.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DIY=Do it yourself

Generally when I recommend something, I have something specific in mind. I also have a pretty good idea from your various posts what I can expect.

Believe me, just take a sip and swallow for the greatest benefits.

Success is measured in months, not seconds. Also a hard concept for many DIYourselfers.

9. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan

I like that!

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    [​IMG]