Using Allen Vizzutti's Technical Studies Effectively

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jg30, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jg30

jg30 New Friend

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi,

I've recently taken up the trumpet again after about 6 years off. I've bought a copy of Allen Vizzutti's Technical Studies and I'm finding the exercises very good, the rate of progression at the moment is very rewarding and better than I think it ever has been, however my practice sessions are normally limited to around 45 minutes and I'm wondering how best to go about using the studies. There's a lot in there lip flexibility, tonguing, range building, long tones and semi-quaver exercises in challenging keys. I find there's little guidance in the book about how to structure a practice session and given the limited time I usually have I'm not sure what's best to work on. I guess I normally end up doing a bit of everything at the moment.

Any advice appreciated,

Many Thanks

James

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I use Vizzutti techical studies as a portion of my warm-up and daily routine including the whole note/half note chord studies at the beginning (warm up) , the technical studies, and the tongueing studies (daily routine). I favor other sources in completing my warm-up (Stamp) and daily routine (Gekker tongueing excersizes, and scale practice from memory). If I only had Vizzutti's book,I would probably work out of each section every day. Good luck.

p.s. I'm a rank amateur so don't put too much weight into what I write.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Pick one or two exercises from several sessions. Don't be impatient and try and do everything. It's better to have time to work on a few things well than do a lot of things and have to rush through them. Pick some easy long tones as a warm up.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best way to use them properly is to get a lesson from Al Vizzutti himself!