using breath attacks in warm up long tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wrigrn, Jun 15, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 Robin ... that is really good

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yep. Along with that, a developing musician would do well to remember that there aren't any shortcuts or "tricks" that are going to instantly transform their abilities - there are certainly things that help, but they would be doing themselves a favor if instead of spending time and effort looking for those tricks, they'd spend that same time and effort in systematic practice of the fundamentals.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 --- and it seems to take a long time!!!!! (at least for me) - a comebacker only on the 30th month, and it looks like I need another 30!:dontknow:.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sometimes I am not sure if the comebacker is having trouble enjoying their current status or has a real playing issue.

Teaching "old dogs" new tricks is different than young children. The kids do not have the "expectations" and do not compare themselves to the world elite. Players >50 have the chore of unlearning bad body use and learning new habits BUT they can have a better approach to working on what they need instead of only what is easy. They can hear the difference.

In teaching older players, I do focus on the increase in life quality through making music and getting better in tune with the body. There is a lot to be gained if we do not want be Wynton Marsalis tomorrow.

5. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    +1

During one lesson with a local pro, he suggested that I try the Carmine Caruso method. I've found this to be very helpful in terms of tone, pitch, breath control, and ultimately endurance and range.

The exercises are just that: exercises. This is not intended to be THE way to attack notes. Furthermore, only the first note of each phrase in the exercises is to have a breath attack. Subsequent notes are tongue attack

http://www.daveballou.com/lessons/the_basic_caruso.pdf

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely! Ta, puh, ha, da, tu, tut, to, too, tooo.... it's all based on a range of versitalitym and calling up the technique based on the emotion of feeling the ARTIST is trying to convey at that point in their playing; based on what the ensemble is providing them, how the performer is feeling at the time, and how the audience is receiving the mood, that at the moment is being integrated by the performer.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Correctly stated -- as a comebacker I am happy with my progress - but have trouble enjoying "the moment" - because the next week seems to be so much better.
    The playing issues and "unlearning" bad habits is true -- except with me, my playing is so much better in 30 months than it was in the almost 30 years that I played before my comeback. So I know that next week, or next month I will be better.
    And then I wonder what my true potential is - so discipline - and playing -- then I wonder where I fit in -- a community band, a small group, etc., just playing for fun or potential money making hobby, etc.
    AND I know that I don't want to be Maynard, or Wynton -- but I want to be me and my own sound. So I am developing or "revolutionizing" the way I play trumpet --- and sometimes the way I think about my playing:thumbsup: