Using Clarke effectively...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    OK so my Clarke Technical Studies for the Cornet method book has now arrived, and I was simply wondering:

# How long to spend on each "study"
    # Whether it is necessary to practice each study every daily, or to focus my attention on different studies according to which areas of my playing need attention.
    # Your own personal preferences - which exercises do you prefer, and find that give you the best workout?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies. Ease of execution and a feeling of relaxed strength are the priorities here. Never strain; you might feel occasional fatigue but you should feel like you could play all day on these studies. Play slowly enough to finish each exercise perfectly. Keep the little finger of your right hand out of the "octave key" on the leadpipe; even if you usually play with it in, use this book to exercise true finger extension, to keep your hand loose and strong.
    Concentrate on Studies I through 8, at least one a day. In addition to slurring them, practice single and "K" tonguing. Strengthening the tongue in this fashion will make all playing more limber, relaxed, and flexible. And when these articulations are truly mastered, any multiple tonguing will be easy.

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's right, sound quality and accuracy over speed. Get everything perfect even in the hard keys (that is my biggest struggle with students is to get them to practice 4,5,6 # and 5 flats) first then worry about using it for breath control. I prefer to not do the book in order with students. I start with 2nd Study, then 3rd, 1st, 4th and 5th etc.

In my own practice since I have been through the whole book I do what Fred Sautter calls the "key for the day" example yesterday was C major today is A minor, tommorow is F Major etc.

With the larger instruments of today are people able to do the 4th 5th 6th and 7th study with all repeats in one breath or is that a bit much to expect.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OK so my Clarke Technical Studies for the Cornet method book has now arrived, and I was simply wondering:

# How long to spend on each "study"
    Until it is perfect!

# Whether it is necessary to practice each study every daily, or to focus my attention on different studies according to which areas of my playing need attention.
    Daily

# Your own personal preferences - which exercises do you prefer, and find that give you the best workout?
    Like BWB: 1-8
    He said it all! I leave my pinky in the fingerhook though because that is the way that I normally play and those are the patterns of motion that I need to develop.

Up an octave on the picc is great stuff for building high chops too! Never play them loudly!

5. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I used to, but when I was able to play them at faster tempos I felt like it constrained me.
    Or on Bb trumpet as well! Yes, I agree- soft! Once you do these correctly you'll be surprised how your range can increase.

6. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Clarke studies are a wonderful thing to practice, but you have to make sure you dont just pas them by. Work with the studies at a comfortable tempo where you can line up your fingers with the correct articulation. Start off slurring them, then single tounge, then tounge slur tounge slur, then slur tounge slur toung and then maybe double tounge when you master the fundamental. But you have to start off calm you dont want to rush these things to where your fingers are faster than what it should be or slower motion than what it should be and work with a metronome at a nice & comfortable tempo. Remember everything takes time and eventually you'll be playing the clarke studies in no time. Good luck!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Clarke studies work best after our fingers have memorized them, when we can think the key and the whole exercise flows. A fun variation is to start with c major (in the staff) and then expand chromatically: c#, B, d, Bb, eb, A, etc. Have fun!

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Also fun is to change the modality of them after memorized, go through major, minor, the different modes... if you really want to confuse yourself do 2nd study in whole tone

Also try articulating them, but keep the air moving the same as in slur

One needs to look at them (or similar type studies) until the day they quit playing. IMO Clarke Technical Studies are right up there with Arban and Saint Jacome for building technique and more important sound.

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Clarke studies are NEVER done. I use them just as much now as I did thirty years ago (geez, that sounds weird!). I do different ones every day. And yes, you must play the Etudes with repeats in one breath. When I need to keep a student in line I'll do three or four or five in one breath, just to show 'em. Keeps me in shape too. That three octave chromatic scale done four times in one breath is a real challenge too.

Michael McLaughlin

10. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    You sound like my teacher. Everytime I complain about doing them in one breath he'll do five or six just to keep me on my toes. :lol: