Using Old Tired Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by waylon101, Feb 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. waylon101

waylon101 New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Illinois
    Last Summer I went to Chicago to take some masterclasses under Wycliffe Gordon and the Columbia College Staff and some good Chicago jazz musicians showed up. Some Cats that have been around for a long time were all using these old horns that they used so much there were only bits of lacquer still on their horns. Its really tempting to want the newest and latest super expensive horns but what is the community's thoughts on using really old horns. I was watching a Maceo Parker video on Youtube and noticed that his trumpet player had the same thing.

Maceo Parker - Make it funky - YouTube

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I will probably get my Bach redone some time in the near future, but my Recording--never. Every missing fleck of lacquer is a badge of honor, a reminder of a solo blown, a gig finished. It gives the horn a certain character--validation that it's been there and done that, from football fields across America to clubs around the world.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Didn't you know that old horns have had all the bad notes played out of them -

Don't tell anyone - everyone will want one.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My collection of tired old horns go well with their tired old owner.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    You play your horn for how it plays, not how it looks :) In addition, if you take a great vintage horn and have it "restored", it often comes back playing and sounding like a different horn-at least in my experience.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Weeellll... I try to keep my hooters in as pristine a shape as possible. But when (or rather: if) a ding happens, I refer to it as "Battle Honours".

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    One of the best horns I've ever owned is the 1924 Holton (no model known) cornet I recently bought. Pretty much all of the lacquer is gone and it has a natural, aged, satin silver look to it. I personally think it looks great.

My wife even told me that I'm not allowed to sell it or change its looks in any way, because she loves the look of the horn. And she's not a brass player! Nor has she ever really shown much interest in the looks of all the horns that I've owned.

On the other hand, if I'm getting a new horn I go with a finish of some sort. Usually brushed and copper related.
    There's something about that Holton though... :-)

Kujo

8. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Makes no difference to me really, if the lacquer is more than 50% gone I usually just remove the rest and go raw brass. I get all dents taken out regardless of the finish and age.Some of my best horns are "old" horns

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I agree, and some will, some won't. My fav right now is an old (as they all are ) Olds French model ugly as a mud fence, plays SWEET.... :-)

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I've had horns come back from restoration playing differently... they were playing how they were meant to play with tight valves and the bore correct throughout. In my opinion, they came back better.

My restored horns have been brought to the absolute best they can be. When I don't have a good day on the horn, I know it's me and not some beaten down wreck.

You might not like my horns because they don't blow like you're used to or you don't like the tone... fair enough. But you won't be wondering if it's because the mouthpipe is too dented or the valves leak.

Tom