Using Old Tired Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by waylon101, Feb 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With utter cream?

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Bag Balm.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    We know about cows here where I live. Dont knock utter cream, like vasoline and wd-40 and duct tape, it has a million and one uses. Nice slide lube, though I have switched to the real thing and save the utter cream for my dry cracked hands. Best wishes.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Who's knocking it. It appears to be keeping his hooters pristine. That to me is a good thing.

5. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I believe y'all are utterly confused about udders.:-?

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Some of them have had all the good notes played out of them and are worn out...:lol: Some of the old ones that are in good mechanical condition can be gems, though.

7. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    When I acquire a vintage horn these days, I get a Reeves Valve Adjustment and have it ultra-sonically cleaned-that way the horn will play as it was supposed to.

I've had a horn re-lacqurered in the past and felt it came back a different horn. Modern lacquer I'm not thrilled with, and buffing a vintage horn is something I stay away from. My horns now were stripped to the raw brass w/o buffing and were sprayed with a thin coat of nitrocellulose lacquer. That being said, every player has their preference and the only right answer is what works for you.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I had my main horn restored - relacquered, new lead pipe, valves rebuilt. It was my 1974 lightweight Bach 43. It came back a better version of what it was.

I realize everyone is different. And maybe different people have different sensitivities when changes are made to their horn. But for me, it was worth every penny.

Mike

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    For me it's an issue for older vintage horns-early 60's and older, since lacquer is different now than before. I also feel that players who gravitate to vintage horns do so because of the unique character of their horns-not only the brand/model but each horn itself. I've had a horn come back restored and re-lacquered with modern lacquer-it came back playing very nice and even, but not the same sound and response.

I think Mike is spot on that it's about the individual player and the type of playing they do.