Using pressure to improve tone.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    :play::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think it gets easier the more time we practice -- like the pros -- they use some pressure, but don't seem to move their lips. As a comebacker, 25th month now -- I can see the "Pressure" is less for upper range than it was 12 months ago, and my sound is better. But it takes time - breath control, air support, strengthened lips and face muscle -- it's a whole combination of things -- In my opinion -- that lessen pressure and make it easier to produce good sound.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pros are all over the place in how they play. There is no universal acceptance that low pressure works everywhere. There is universal acceptance that years of a solid routine builds everything that is "necessary".

If you don't get it, you don't need it - and the people around you don't want you to have it.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I guess I am worrying about two things with pressure.

A) Causing my blood pressure to raise.

B) Getting a dent in my lip.

The former is definitely the most important, I don't want a stroke. The second is mostly aesthetic. When I play I don't feel that the first is being affected, and if I pucker then the for a little while the second is OK.