Using The Bass Trumpet to Build up Chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Oct 22, 2006.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    A percussionist friend of mine recently did a tour with one of the best jazz trumpet players on the scene today. My friend tells me this player would practise from 9AM to 12 and then from 2-5PM on the bass trumpet only. From what he explains this player practices jazz patterns and Clark studies e throughtout his practice routine. Only 30 minutes before his concerts does he start warming up with his regular b Flat trumpet. By the way he never plays the Bass trumpet on the gig nor does he mention the bass trumpet as part of his routine on any interviews he does or on his website.

Has anyone on TM found the bass trumpet to be beneficial to their playing?

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    talcito -

I used to warm down by buzzing into a trombone mouthpiece, but this seems like taking it to the next level! I'm curious to know what others think.

Tony Kadleck

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i think herseth did some with bass trumpet mouthpiece as a warm-down or chop relaxer

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Actually, I do a lot of bass trumpet playing. No, not on gigs but just at the house. I really do believe that it does help in ways of air volume, centering of pitch, and building the larger muscles of the oral cavity that we sometimes forego. I have also expeirenced some positive change in my sound too. Just my two cents. Take care.