Using the Kick Valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Jul 19, 2010.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    My Callet Sima has the inverted third valive slide. Does that make it a "punt slide" or a "go for in on 4th down" slide?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I think an "inverted" slide is sort of like a belly button - it makes the difference between an "outie" and and "innie". Either way, try not to kick it.

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I use Hetman's slide oil on the third valve slide of my Olds Recording to good result. I haven't found many opportunities to use it, however since I came from the old school that taught us to lip a note into tune, which is more instinctive to me than using the third valve "kicker." I can see how it would be useful to pull a low C# back into tune. I have noticed that professional trumpeters in orchestras seem to use the valve slide rings generously to maintain intonation.

4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Great advice all, thanks! Ya, I heard the term kick valve twice, once from a high school trumpeter and once from a professor of jazz who used to play trumpet professionally...so kinda opposite ends of the spectrum.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sorry! the third valve slide is a SLIDE not a VALVE. The proper term for the ring on the slide is: the third valve slide throw ring or as many of us like to call it "the kicker".

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Once again I'm amused by the way conversations go around in circles here on TM. ;-)

7. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    kind of funny stuff...now we have a 2 page thread on a question that was answered in the 2nd post...

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I was going to post that I never play THOSE notes, when playing standards, but, The Shadow of Your Smile begins on C# and I have to extend to get it right. Darn!!

My trumpet in 4th grade, 1955, had no rings for that. One of the most difficult things in coming back is getting my left hand to cooperate. The good thing about having started WAYYYY back when, is that the fingerings are completely etched on my brain so I didn't have to relearn.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    One learns from hearing varied opinions, then discerning what works best for them.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something."

Plato

An empty wagon rattles loudest.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    here's my opinion then...if you don't use the 3rd slide, you won't play in tune and you'll be playing by yourself all the time...no one wants to play with someone who is out of tune.

tedh1951 likes this.