Using the Kick Valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Jul 19, 2010.

1. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Ultrupure's light slide grease works great on the slides Best stuff I've found so far.:thumbsup:

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Luckily everyone here knew what I was refering to. It was a beginners "typo". And now that you mention it, I think that's what my two references called it, the "kicker". Regardless, lots of passion and advice in this forum...love it!

tedh1951 likes this.
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You're very welcome. We love a chance to educate. Keep them coming.

tedh1951 likes this.
  4. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Let me clarify to the best of my ability- the reason why it is better to use the third valve slide as opposed to the first is because there are more notes that are played using the first and second valve. That means that when you use the first valve slide to tune a sharp note, you have to push it back in every time you play a note that is played using the first and/or second valve that is in tune. Because there are a lot more notes played using first/second valve combinations, using the third valve slide allows you to not have to keep pushing the slide in/out. I thought that since the original question asked for a way to tune notes without having to be so clumsy, I thought that this info would help.

5. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Do you have small hands? If so, using the 3rd valve slide can be awkward. Having an instrument technician reposition the finger ring (generally a straight-forward job) can make life easier :)

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So I decided to give it a go at always using the kicker. As one poster said, if I get into the habit early on it'll get smoother over time and become 2nd nature.

BUT...now I have a further issue: when I pull the slide back in it bumps up against the non-sliding part of the tube, which causes a click. But worse than that, when I push it out it kinda pops, like pressure is building up. 'Cause when I bring it back in I can feel the pressure. So I have to press #3 to release the pressure. So now my C#'s in tune, but I'm all clicks and pops.

Whaddup with that!?

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A lot of people put a couple of thin o-rings on the 3rd valve slide tubes to cushion the return. If you're careful (and your slide moves freely) you can do it without noise without the bumpers, though.

It shouldn't pop unless you pull it out and depress the 3rd valve while you're not playing. I've never heard a pop while playing.

As far as when to use it, if a passage is moving quickly, like 16th notes, and the C# or D are in the run, there's no need to use the slide. It's really needed only when you sit on a note long enough to catch the intonation in your ear.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The pop is pressure. The slides and valves should be reasonably airtight, so when you move the slide without depressing the valve, the pressure changes and when you then press the valve, the pressure is relieved with a pop. Thin O-rings or more practice will get rid of the click. Most of my horns have no rings and there is no issue. You are at the beginning of this journey, run with it for a while longer. It will smooth out with time

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Oh wow I'm slow with this- so apparently the OP was referring to the third valve slide to begin with?

To the OP: I found that on my old Bach that the slide would naturally sit out and that you would have to pull it in (and you could feel the pressure like you describe) when you didn't need it out and release it when you did. Is this what you're experiencing? If so, I think it's pretty normal and so is the clinking

10. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    It's unfortunate that many trumpet players never get taught to use the third valve slide for low C# or D. Many feel it is too much to remember, valves and slides but it's never right to learn improper techniques or short cuts because when you're under stress you'll always revert. Most soloists don't use the slide because they rarely play that low. If they aren't playing low those notes are also seldom played compared the others. It is true that you can "lip" the notes down but that technique is probably more difficult than just throwing out the slide. Not using that slide is a good way to blow an audition too!