Using the leadpipe to improve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chaplainentrekin, Mar 12, 2013.

1. chaplainentrekin

chaplainentrekin New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    I am just curious if anyone else has done this. I believe that if you can learn where the slots are on your leadpipe and learn to play them, adding the horn just makes them sound like a trumpet. In college, I would remove my main tuning slide and practice finding the slots of my leadpipe. This made me very aware of every little thing i was doing embouchure-wise. It also helped me focus on the smaller adjustments needed when going up. When I would practice range with the whole horn, mentally it seemed much harder. (Yes, I know that the blow is different. I am not saying I played Arbans on the leadpipe. Just worked at getting it to sound the slots that were there).

More recently, to really tighten up my aperature, I have spent some time playing the horn without the mouthpiece, just buzzing directly into the leadpipe opening. This has been helpful in getting the lip muscles to contract and shrink the aperature. It also forces me to use a combination of lip control plus air control, because pressure cannot be relied on (or you would cut your lip). Of course, it does not sound "trumpety," but I find I can play from pedal C up to F above double C by doing this exercise without the mouthpiece. (I only spend maybe 5 minutes max doing this before practicing, typically just doing scales or arps).

Just wondering if others have done this and benefitted.

Chap

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Paragraph 1 I concur with, especially helpful to know how a specific instrument plays. However, I see mo vlaue to Paragraph 2.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Buzzing the pipe has merit and value, but the slots move when connected to the instrument. Pipe buzzing inspired the "magic bubbles" theory.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    What's the "magic bubbles" theory?

I did spend a fair amount of time playing the leadpipe working on the resonance. Worked for me. I see no value in bare lips against the pipe, though.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Bare lips against the pipe can only damage your muscles - if you press to hard.

6. chaplainentrekin

chaplainentrekin New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    Folks, as far as buzzing against the leadpipe without mouthpiece: it is just for the purpose of feeling and experimenting with contracting (or compressing) the lips together tighter to shrink the aperture in coordination with air support. Since I cannot rely on mpc pressure to ascend the scale, I have to use the lips and air to do so. Of course you should not play on just the leadpipe with enough pressure to actually hurt your lips.

Chap

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    WOW!! I just tried to give you a rep point for this because it is SO important and SO true; however, because seconds ago I just gave you a rep point for another pearl you deposited, that TM would not allow me to give you yet another point. So be it recognized that you deserve a rep point for this...

Anyone out there that can give VB a proxy rep point for me?

9. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Consider it done.