Using Too Much Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Domination3785, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Domination3785

Domination3785 Pianissimo User

Apr 12, 2014
    Hi everyone,

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been using more air than necessary. However, more recently, this absurd amount of air has been detrimental to my playing, as I'm getting a hideous and overly bright sound, and have a decreased range and endurance level. Do you have any ideas as to how to go about and fix this?
    Thanks!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Long, low tones, held as long as you can, with enhanced diaphragm control... in fact, all the usual tips...

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What he said, and play softly. Start your day as soft as you can and work your way up... you'll find that there is a point where your horn responds like crazy, and you've likely been overblowing.

I had an issue with overblowing in school playing for basketball games. Couldn't hear myself unless I was playing blastissimo.

Tom

4. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    Is bladtissimo a technical term? I like it.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Have you cleaned your trumpet lately? .... using a snake of course
    and
    check your water key corks if applicable
    but
    If it is clean
    watch your diet.. potato chips and salty foods can really dry out the chops
    and
    what they all said

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  6. Domination3785

Domination3785 Pianissimo User

Apr 12, 2014
    I just cleaned my horn and mouthpiece, and what came out of it was absolutely foul. Its no wonder I was working so hard! However, I will still do long tones to repair the damage that forcing caused me.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What a bunch of BS. "Hey folks, I use too much air." Am I not cool? Sounds like end of the school year again - we get this stuff EVERY YEAR at about the same time.

Think about that. On a wind instrument how do we "start" using too much air? How does too much air make our sound bright? How do we beat the physics of brass instruments and crank that "extra"air through?

Well, it simply doesn't work that way, so what is your problem? Well it isn't too much air. It is more like BAD practice habits - no controlled long tones, lip slurs, easy melodies. Those things don't manifest themselves in too much air, but are common among those full of themselves.

Yes, I know that a flame is on the way - but from who? Why? Why do we have to treat crap as if it were true? Anyone who knows how the body works, how a trumpet works, how people work, know the answer.

If the thread owner wants to come clean, maybe we can help get their playing focussed on what is good for them. I would simply appreciate that those with no clue recognize that enough of us here know better and this type of BS is simply insulting! They are not communicating with idiots. Assholes maybe, but not idiots!

8. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Control your anger you must

9. Ufachotchin

Ufachotchin Pianissimo User

May 19, 2014
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    I'm pretty sure the OP just meant he was working too hard and "too much air" is just how he phrased it. Even if it's incorrect it didn't warrant that kind of response. I knew what they meant, and it sure seemed like everyone else did too.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I consider the trumpet and player to be part of a system with a feedback loop. When I play with a practice mute in I find I have to resist the temptation to blow harder (to make the sound louder) than when I do without one. If the horn isn't resonating as efficiently as it used to - because of dirt build-up perhaps - then the player may find themselves putting more energy in.

I'm very used to the way my main trumpet plays - and I think I know how hard to blow to make it sound as I think it should. In January I got a flugelhorn which is quite different; that seems to require far less effort for about the same audible feedback, and so when I'm playing it very quietly I find myself sometimes needing to exhale before drawing breath again after some longer phrases. From recordings of myself playing both the sound level the audience hears differs with the flugelhorn seeming quieter.

--bumblebee