Using Too Much Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Domination3785, Jun 16, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing was out of control. The first step to getting better is to have an accurate picture of what is going down. The first step to helping is understanding the problem. The problem in this thread has little to do with the trumpet or air.

All of the "key" symptomatic words were in the opening post. The situation is clear to me. The next playing steps too. There is something else in the way and I think it is obvious. Very common type of post for this time of year. Let's see what the thread owner does with it..............

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Personally, I thought he hit the nail pretty much squarely on the head - I'd have posted something along those lines had he not done it.

Our OP said:

Yeah - don't do that! Stop it! I mean seriously - the obvious fix is to address it directly in the practice room by doing a lot of easy playing and backing off pushing so much air, working it gradually and systematically. I'd be willing to bet that there is also a mouthpiece pressure component in this issue as well - it's taking a combination of blowing a lot of air with additional mouthpiece pressure to force the focus and tone.

In any case, I think Bob Newhart says it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsYCKbp6IIc

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the big air is a figment of his youthful imagination...........

The solution is not to back off, it is to get smart. A solid daily routine dedicated to basics, focus on relax and above all: get honest with himself and us. The path to success is not lined with BS.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Remember too that he finally yanked years worth of growth out of his horn... it's due for a professional cleaning. I think we all gave useful advice but ultimately removing the colony growing in the horn is something we all assume that a student does not.

Tom

5. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    rowuk

The first line of your initial response is a bit… well… visceral. The rest of the response is very on point and straight ahead. Thank You.

No flame intended. How old is this person? Are they young? Are they using a description that is incorrect because they are repeating something that was described to them incorrectly?

Were you ever naive about how all this works? Did you ever ask a question that was completely wrong because it was formed from a total lack of information?

If you expect all users to understand the things you understand there should be an entrance exam all must pass before becoming a member on this forum. You could provide the study material. I am sure I would learn a great deal from your course. (No sarcasm here I am being honest)

No we should not treat “crap” as if it is true. Turning miss information into knowledge should not have to hurt. It is true that sometimes a wake up call can or needs to be a bit jarring.

Those of us less knowledgeable folk will always agitate by using terminology that is wrong, ask dumb questions and even use poor English. For all our sins I apologize and beg your patience.

Respectfully,

Jon

6. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    Rowuk: I was disappointed that you took the road of name-calling and intimidation. I have no doubt that you are an extremely talented trumpet player and are highly cognizant of the physics of sound and instruments. However, when you delved off into the territory of mind-reading into the motivations of the OP you then began to lose your expertise. I respect the words of rufflicks above reflecting that we huddled masses who come here represent varying degrees of imperfection along a wide continuum of knowledge (or not) and skills (or not). I fear that intimidation might tend to inhibit members from bringing their own concerns (or possibly even answers) to the forum. I hope for better than that.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe we need some perspective here?

Maybe Jons comment first: yes, I am confronted every single day of my life with things that I do not know, where I am naive and actually have no trouble asking for help. I even have a mentor for the trumpet. He is 95 (I am 58) and has seen it all, but they are ears, eyes and a mind that I blindly trust. We have been together since 1977. I still am learning today.
    No, we should not in my opinion have an exam to "get in". There is also a lot of info here for those on RX (receive) instead of TX (transmit). And here lies the method in my madness. I don't have to read minds to know what is going on. RX and TX show themselves in the original posts (among other parameters that I use to size up the issue). Someone only on transmit (only being a relative word) will not benefit because they don't listen. I challenge those types as very often they come around, fess up and become great assets. You see, netiquette goes two ways in my book, not just the top down drivel about encouragement, support and nice guy stuff, but also from the bottom up. If the original post is not "possible" or close to plausible, then I sometimes challenge it because I think that there is a chance to help - not by sucking up, rather to demonstrate that a serious problem should be dealt with seriously.

drmctchr, I am actually not here at Trumpetmaster to be everybodies darling. I think that I have a clear view of many things, a dedication to process that works and a desire to share this. I do reserve my constitutional rights for freedom of speech on an international, open, internet platform - not because I am better, rather because I feel a need to compensate many empty posts with content.

I would challenge the accusation of "name calling". The original post is pure BS and the member has youthful imagination. It is the end of the school year and history repeats itself every year at this time. What else was he called? "Not honest"? Read what was posted very carefully.

My analysis: This player knows a bit about the trumpet - especially that air is important. Their level of "maturity" caused them to sort of brag about "excessive" air. The foolishness was by their claim of "absurd" amounts of air resulting in a "hideous" sound as well as decreased range and endurance. My guess: End of school year, marching band, no real positive playing habits, testosterone, wasted chops, hyperventilation - and very little of that air going through the horn.

Truth of the matter is, that none of those claims fit together. Why? First of all, let's assume that in fact the "absurd" amounts of air claim is real. How do we get to the state of being able to inhale this much air regularly? My answer is ONLY through dedicated practice. We have to stretch our breathing to increase it. It does NOT happen naturally. Once we have "big" air, our sound does not get hideous or bright. Floating sound on air makes it either far more relaxed, or in the case of a fine lead player, the sound gets MUCH more energetic. Range does not decrease, neither does endurance due to large quantities of air. We do not build lung capacity independent of playing skills.

What is the correct course of action? Well, many start immediately by recommending specific exercises or books. I maintain that that is mostly a waste of time for a poster on TX. They already have a view of what they want to do and would never buy a book and basically are looking for a cheat to download instead of realigning their head (the biggest problem). I refuse to feed that type of ego and reserve the right to say so. I have been teaching since I was 18. All of the words have been said hundreds of times and the underlying problem was always the same. If I am disappointing, I guess that is just the way it is. Maybe now you at least see what thoughts go into my posts before I even type a word.

barliman2001 likes this.
  8. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    rowuk,

PM sent

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    and answered.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    A hard lesson for me to learn was stop overblowing on your super-efficient setup, you're only wasting energy and annoying everyone else. :-)

Tom