Using Too Much Air

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Domination3785, Jun 16, 2015.

1. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I'm going to suggest that most of this will happen without our conscious intervention, just like walking or reaching for something, we decide where we want to go or what we want to pick up, and most of the muscle instructions come from the brain without our being conscious of them. In breathing there was a time when a deep breath was with the chest out and the gut sucked in, it takes a conscious effort to learn to breath correctly. That is to let the gut extend and allow the chest to remain as it is. I didn't learn that till I was taking Karate classes and the Senseis taught the students how to breath properly. I found the same thing was taught in Yoga. You only need to focus on the proper form and the details will take care of themselves.

2. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    That is exactly what I meant by "The good new is..." I do think it is important to really understand the total process however, because all us overthink when we are having an issue and sometimes make the wrong correction.

3. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Yes, understanding the process, and controlling the details are a bit different, and controlling the details is unnecessary. Many years ago I was doing meditation and got to the point where I could breath in and out of whichever nostril I chose. I was not concentrating on the individual muscle contractions, but just the overall effect I wanted, and it all worked out. There is a great deal to be said for visualization and this is the key to the proper exercise. I have always been good at visualization.

4. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Louis Maggio said, "Take a breath like a drowning man going down for the third time."

T/

5. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Out
    Great!!!

6. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You have brought a great discussion to life. I advise you join it, respectfully.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They hyperventilated...........

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    From an old post:

9. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.

For meditation, and some other practices where I needed to focus, I would imagine white light from above coming into the top of my head. I would suspect that imagining different colors might effect the mood of the piece you are playing. For example Beethoven's Pastoral might be green, and A Night on Bald Mountain might be red or orange. I would need to think about Bolero, or does anyone have a suggestion? For the theme of The Loan Ranger, you might imagine a lightening bolt, the same would work for The Ride of the Valkyries.

10. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    OK? Whatever works. I do agree that you need to forget the mechanics when performing. If you have to think about it, you have already screwed up before you put the horn to your lips. Which, sometimes, I do anyway.