Using your air, playing aggresively

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Feb 12, 2012.

1. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    I couldn't agree with this more.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What I've noticed in musicians that play so called timid,it's not because of lack of breath support but a lack of confidence in their reading skills.
    I've seen very strong players play timid because they either weren't sure when to come in or how to play certain rhythms. To equate playing timid to lack of breath support and volume isn't right.Playing timid has less to do with volume and breath support,than it has to do with musicianship.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    all very interesting posts -- Local of course has been one of the Tm'rs that turned me on to the "wind" learning tool, whereby I can increase the air to the trumpet. Yes, the trombone has been the best "teaching and prepratory instrument" for introducing a little more power in the trumpet. Unfortunately, or fortunately - depending on your perspective --- for most of my comeback over the last 3 years, I have been somehow ingrained to "practice softly" ---- which is interesting, as it might have been the one thing that has allowed me to listen and finesse the trumpet.

However -- in the community band that I joined a few months ago --- I find that the trumpet section plays like 3 times louder than I do (at least 3X). Of course - the contrary thing is that there are passages at the top of the staff, and below the staff, that most of the section finds extremely difficult to play softly --I guess they never learned the soft part of the trumpet ----- and I find some things difficult to play LOUDLY -- the trombone is helping with air support --- even for the 2 months that I have been at it.

So hopefully in another month or two -- the trumpet will have finesse, soft, and loud, and perhaps a bit fuller at high volume -- and that will work out just right for the parade season in the great outdoors.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    there is also a little different concept of timing -- since I haven't played in a "group" ensemble setting for nearly 30 years (at least a group over 3 people) -- in the community band -- there is a timing concept about certain passages, where the rhythm is "odd" for me --- guess I haven't practiced all the rhythms!!! -- luckily the conductor gives us a "free ride" --- where he instructs us to NOT PLAY, if we can't play together. BUT TO FOLLOW along with singing the rhythm, and timing it with the valves -- even if we are not playing ---- in time the conductor assures me that it will all come together in the trumpet section --- and all of us will eventually function as ONE. This way we are NOT trying to anticipate the rhythm and timing --but we(I) am learning the rhythm of the group!!! and play with cohesiveness --so he says!. I think he might be on to something.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Good post local. my first teacher/ band director, very old school, would always tell us" if you make a mistake make it a good one" He didn't like timid mistakes. He would say "don't suck back on the horn" In essence he always wanted us to go for it. Give it our best effort. To really try to get it. This has held me in very good stead through out my career.

One exception local. I'm basically classically trained. I can tell you that in classical music trumpeters don't play defensive. We play just as aggressive as in any jazz setting. It just a different style of music with different sensibilites.