vacation practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Feb 25, 2014.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    What are your preferred methods of practicing while on vacation? Trumpet with silent brass mute? Pocket trumpet? Mouthpiece buzzing alone? Will be at a resort with a bunch of other vacationers but I have 2 gigs immediately after (I know, but it is spring break for the kids). Thanks.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Silent Brass is what I use in a separate part of the dwelling when no one is around. Can't make any one mad that way unless you forsake an important moment.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    On vacation, I use a trumpet (or my pocket trumpet) with a Harmon mute, and with the TV on for a little background noise. I've never had a problem with this setup. But when I need to be as quiet as possible, I use a Dillon Practice Mute.

Mike

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I use my pocket trumpet and while I bring a practice/whisper mute with me I try to find a place to play without it. Generally it's not that difficult to find a place off the beaten path (particularly later at night) to sit and plat.

I was in 2 different Disney resorts and I just walked around the grounds behind the hotel and found a bench to play on. I didn't do any lead work or REALLY loud playing, but I wasn't quiet either.

If you're in a large conference center you can usually find an empty ballroom of some kind to play in (again, after "normal" usage hours).

I've never had anyone ask me to stop, but if they did I would just pop in a mute.

My "vacation routine" is usually very basic and just serves as face-time that keeps my chops playing for about a half hour a day. This makes it easier to jump back into the regular routine when I return.

There are pro's who kind of laugh about this, but as an amateur who plays a lot I find that prolonged time off the horn leads to a prolonged recovery period.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I rarely take a horn on vacation (it's a vacation, for cryin' out loud), but like you, I took a horn to the beach because I had a wedding to play right after I got home. I took my cornet and a Wick practice mute. I couldn't tell if it did much good, but the old Bach enjoyed the cool ocean breezes on the balcony...:lol:

[​IMG]

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Dale. I hope you put some sunscreen on that cornet! :-)

Mike

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    This year I am spending a month in the USA, so I shall take my Yamaha Slent Brass to plug into the Wild Thing I have just purchased, and is waiting for me. Shame it will be June before I get to play it.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I customarily used a piece of hose tuned to concert Bb with a mouthpiece on one end and a pillow on the other. I'd go through a comprehensive collection of bugle calls to stay in shape, but it didn't provide any exercise for my fingers. I had been looking for a decent pocket trumpet at a bargain price for a couple of years, and I finally found and purchased a Dillon demo recently. I'm looking forward to using it soon with my Shastock practice mute and the TV for aural camouflage. Yes, the backpressure can't be ignored, and intonation leaves a little to be desired, but it beats the hose and it sure beats not playing at all.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How important practice during vacation is depends on YOUR evaluation of how LITTLE the audience will accept and how MUCH is left after a typical vacation.

Chance is exactly that. I do have a silent brass that I use when nothing else can be arranged, but for vacations have found that it only takes an offer to play a church service to get access to a very nice room to play in.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Some sturdy cornet with a DW practice mute.When we go on holiday, we usually take our two student grade cornets: My stepson's Yamaha 2-something and my old Weltklang thingie - first cornet I ever had. And we try and find bands along the route to sit in as guest players for a rehearsal or two. Usually, people are very welcoming, and you find many new friends that way. Usually ends up with several rounds of free drinks ;)