Vacation

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by dauminator3, May 22, 2004.

1. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

Our family is going on vacation to Jamaica, leaving this weekend. The day after we get back, a few family friends and my father and I are going on a father/son canoe/fishing trip to Boundary Waters. What is the best thing to do while on these trips, other than relax and have a good time, to keep myself in shape so that when I come back, my playing is decent?

Jared

2. dauminator3

Note: I am planning on bringing a mouthpiece.........

Jared

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Which trip? Jamaica? Boundary Waters? How long?

4. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i would say take along a mpc and a Sinatra CD ( or something of the like) buzz along in a few 5 to 10 minute sessions.

OR

if this is the only time you will be away from the horn all year go ahead and take it and enjoy it.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Dave, yes I HAVE heard (and seen) the McGrath "Spirit of Alberta" band on several occaisions. They've got a wonderful program and the kids really do work their tails off. They have been pretty "quiet" these last couple of years: I know that there are some real problems for schools to get adequate government funding (particularly the smaller, rural schools) to support their music programs. I'm sure they are still in operation however: they get 100% parent support.

One of the mandates of our Community Band is to go around to area schools and support their band programs through "joint concerts" to help them raise money for their own band programs so we get to visit two or three schools each year. We haven't been to McGrath yet but we have helped a couple of schools "right around" there.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Daum... I'd go along with dizforprez's suggestion. TAKE A BREAK, EH? The loons and other campers up in the Boundary Waters might NOT appreciate hearing your practice sessions "around the campfire". Remember... they went there to get AWAY from the "sounds of civilization".

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    It really depends on how the long the trip is - be prepared to have to do a lot of catching up if the trip is a long one.

9. dauminator3

Thanks for all the help....

The Jamaica trip is only 5 days.....then home for a day...then I think 8 days bordering Canada.

I would take the days off....and enjoy....except I wouldnt really enjoy it...I do love playing the trumpet and I think about it often, so it will be on my mind, not in a bad way, the whole time...

Jared

10. Thevor

Thevor Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2003
    Next to the Volcano
    Daum,

I just got back from Jamaica, beautiful island.

You are young, enjoy the sun, the half naked women running around on the beaches, go snorkeling and shopping but most of all, make it a VACATION. The trumpet will be there when you get back. Take the time that you'de spend on the trumpet and enjoy your family. Soon enough you'll have have your own responsibilites and those "family" times will be gone, don't look back wishing you should have spent that 20 hours with mom and dad rather than some miserable piece of brass that we'll spend the rest of our lives trying to master anyway. You'll pick up quick enough when you get back.... go enjoy.